Starting to see the light . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
. . . and I think it's green. :)

I have been torturing myself with research on the subject, as most everyone else here has done. I introduced myself here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18263/

I have done more reading and research, and have discovered that the Garn MAY fit my needs (calculable) and desires (inscrutable) rather well. I have not tried to call the factory. The closest dealer to me is over 3 hours away.

I know there are not many members here with them in operation (from what I have read), but I have several pointed questions about the operation of the Garn.

1. How is the ash removal handled? Their web site does not give any indication.
2. How much of a problem is caused by burning wood with metal/nails?
3. The web site and video show the exhaust stack running horizontally outside for a couple of feet,with a 45 deg turndown over an open steel drum. Why? If I were to install a Garn, it would go in my garage, and I would want to run an external stack pipe up higher. Would that be a problem?

I will be calling Garn to get some info, but I understand they are less than prompt with returning inquiries.

It is at least 50% more expensive than a CB6048, but I REALLY like the simplicity of operation and the integral storage. My wife and sons could easily and safely fire this thing. It also looks to be a longer lived unit than any of the OWBs I have come across.

Thanks for any input on the above.

Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA said:
. . . and I think it's green. :)

I have been torturing myself with research on the subject, as most everyone else here has done. I introduced myself here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18263/

I have done more reading and research, and have discovered that the Garn MAY fit my needs (calculable) and desires (inscrutable) rather well. I have not tried to call the factory. The closest dealer to me is over 3 hours away.

I know there are not many members here with them in operation (from what I have read), but I have several pointed questions about the operation of the Garn.

1. How is the ash removal handled? Their web site does not give any indication.
2. How much of a problem is caused by burning wood with metal/nails?
3. The web site and video show the exhaust stack running horizontally outside for a couple of feet,with a 45 deg turndown over an open steel drum. Why? If I were to install a Garn, it would go in my garage, and I would want to run an external stack pipe up higher. Would that be a problem?

I will be calling Garn to get some info, but I understand they are less than prompt with returning inquiries.

It is at least 50% more expensive than a CB6048, but I REALLY like the simplicity of operation and the integral storage. My wife and sons could easily and safely fire this thing. It also looks to be a longer lived unit than any of the OWBs I have come across.

Thanks for any input on the above.

Jim K in PA

Hi Jim

You're on the right track with your thinking. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. There is very little ash with a Garn so removal is not required often. I suggest to my customers to simply push the hot coals to the back of the firebox, scoop out the excess ash (into a steel container) with a shovel and redistribute the coals. One of the nice things about a Garn is that with draw through type airflow, stirring up the ashes like that doesn't leave them all over you and the room. Just turn on the combustion blower and any light dust or debris gets blown out the exhaust.

2. Nails don't create any problem per se as far as burning is concerned but the issue is that sometimes there are coatings on the nails or staples that can be very corrosive when combusted. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

3. Vertical exhaust is no problem and I recommend it if the unit is in close proximity to other buildings. There is virtually no smoke but the wood burning odor can still be detected with horizontal exhaust.

Your wife and kids can easily fire a Garn. The draw through combustion design eliminates gobs of smoke and flame in your face as is common on the CB's and virtually any other forced draft boiler or furnace. You will never be sorry you went that way.

Thanks Heaterman. I have spent a good chunk of my work day this AM reading more Garn posts, and I am more confident that this is the solution for me.

The size is a challenge, but I have a couple of options that will work. My garage is about 35' or so from the house, and is a little over 24' deep by 36'+ wide. I could put it in a corner of the garage, but I would lose a ton of space. On the rear of the garage I have a 6' deep by 36' wide shed that is currently open on all three sides. The Garn 1500 would readily fit back there, and then I could enclose/insulate the space. There would also be lots of room for wood storage. Venting could dump out and down like in their video without too many issues, I think.

I just need to talk to them about sizing. I left a message on the company voice mail (sales dept.) yesterday afternoon. There is a dealer up in the northern tier about 3 hours away that I could call. I probably should.

My anticipated heat loss (per Heatloss2), as listed in my first post, is as follows:
House; ~70k Btu
Garage & Shop; ~35k Btu
Greenhouse; ~30k Btu
Total; ~135k Btu

I have decided not to heat my bank barn, which was listed in my first post.

I think the 1500 should be all I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.