Starting your pellet stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OU812 said:
Just a quick question. Is it true that real men manually light their stove?

Not if you paid big $$ for yours.

Today I taught my wife how to clean the stove. Lets see if she will on occasion.

Only if the auto ignition gives up the ghost.

No auto-start here.

Toss in some pellets, squirt on some go-juice, a few more pellets, and ignite.

After 3-4 minutes, start the feed.

My wife has no problem cleaning it and lighting it, either. Life is good.

Sure thing. A quart of gel start is a lot cheaper than an ignitor, besides my stoves are so old they didn't even have them as options.

Handful of pellets, quart or three of some good old gasoline (stand back) and we have heat.

What else you need but steak and shrimp.

Eric

Have tried Hand sanitizer the cheap stuff from the dollar store a squirt or two works great.
on the pellets not the hands......

OU812 said:
Thats a good idea! Hand sanitizer is an alcohol based gel that is much cheaper than fire gel.

That is an interesting idea. I might have to try that. And, you know the stove won't get sick with all those bad germs!

SmokeyTheBear said:
Gee Eric, why bother with the pellets?

Why?
Why the pellets?
Because that is 50% of my business. I am a pellet wholesaler, so keep burning.
Just remember we are not taking entire trees to make pellets (here anyway).
So you will still have a job, Smokey.

Eric

Eric,

I have other means of sustaining myself, I don't worry about the possible lack of fires to stomp out.

I was really wondering if a handful of pellets was needed when you had plenty of BTUs in that quart or so of gasoline to finish the job. Not likely to be a structure doing it that way so there will be no need for a stove or pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.