stash for next year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
picked up my final 2 ton today. Found Stove Chow at TSC for 195 a ton. so in all I have 2 ton of fireside and the 2 ton of chow. It comes out to be a price increase of $62 from what I paid last season for a total of $838. I really dont think the prices in Western NY are going to be as low as last year.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 686
Thats a mighty good looking stash you got there. Wish I could have found me some Chow's this year. Everyone seemed to like them.
Got my stash too. 5 tons @ $177/ton from HD. Still on the Hunt!! Can never pass up a good deal. Especially the way that oil is going up. Then add in what happen to Japan. Some say with the over abbundance of pellets next year, that they may be cheaper than this year. I hope they are right. But this guy is not taking that chance. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG00287-20110213-2034.jpg
    IMG00287-20110213-2034.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG00269-20110211-2053.jpg
    IMG00269-20110211-2053.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 627
It's the same deal with propane every year, the rising oil prices result in fear mongering and scare tactics, so the LP gas suppliers shoot out letters to customers hyping up their price lock-ins, I've opted out of that EVERY year and it has paid off each and every time. What goes up must come down, supply and demand eventually take over and prices fall. The Japan disaster has already caused the cost of oil to drop, gasoline prices are beginning to reflect this trend. I've heard the same thing about a potential over-abundance of pellets next year, I hope it turns out to be true. Either way, I go through less than a bag per day during the heating season, so 1-2 tons per season is about all I need.

I hope pellets drop so I can get more next season!
As for now
American wood fiber - 10 BAGS
MWP - 15 BAGS
HAMMERS - 20 BAGS
GT - 1 TON
SOMERSET - 2 TON
OKIES - 10 bags
STOVE CHOW -10 bags
still need 5 more bags of okies and hammers
Gonna get 25 bags of Vermont wood pellets
And that will complete my 2011-12 stash and Prolly be enough for 2012-13 if wep are still here!

magsf11 said:
picked up my final 2 ton today. Found Stove Chow at TSC for 195 a ton. so in all I have 2 ton of fireside and the 2 ton of chow. It comes out to be a price increase of $62 from what I paid last season for a total of $838. I really dont think the prices in Western NY are going to be as low as last year.

I know alot of pellet dealers in the area, and i'm told to buy NOW for the next heating season. The price on pellets has already gone up from this last heating season.

msmith66 said:
magsf11 said:

I know alot of pellet dealers in the area, and i'm told to buy NOW for the next heating season. The price on pellets has already gone up from this last heating season.

Not everywhere, some members in the business are getting good prices for spring.. maybe even a few bucks cheaper...
That said for a chance of a few bucks cheaper I will buy now for peace of mind... can always buy more lol

Nice stash Jim, Keeping your pig status intact as well! :) hehe

iceman said:
msmith66 said:
magsf11 said:

Not everywhere, some members in the business are getting good prices for spring.. maybe even a few bucks cheaper...
That said for a chance of a few bucks cheaper I will buy now for peace of mind... can always buy more lol

I have heard rumors of slight price drops for spring buy, But expect prices to rise in the mid summer/fall.

j-takeman said:

iceman said:
msmith66 said:
magsf11 said:

I have heard rumors of slight price drops for spring buy, But expect prices to rise in the mid summer/fall.

People are going to stay with oil if pellet prices go to high.

Hoverfly said:
j-takeman said:

iceman said:
msmith66 said:
magsf11 said:

Very true, but at oil prices now pellets would have to get to 350+ to be close to oil

iceman said:
Hoverfly said:
j-takeman said:

iceman said:
msmith66 said:
magsf11" date="1300156042 said:

Very true, but at oil prices now pellets would have to get to 350+ to be close to oil

We will see(my area anyway) something in the $265 to $285 range by fall. Inside scoop and very reliable source! This is for the pellet dealers, Bigbox is a whole other cup of tea. Should see them start right at $297 a ton and then maybe another mid season price "war"(if we don't buy at there inflated cost of $297/ton). Honestly why would I spend $297/ton when I can get better for less at the pellet house's! Doesn't make much sense to me.

Come on Mr. Sun, dry things up so I can bunker the 2012-13 stash, the oinkers are getting ahead of me.

Still too much snow and mud.

Still have 17.5 tons of Somersets in storage
hear the pricing will be low in the spring
might pull the trigger on another 22 ton load
gonna need heat for many years to come
4 to 4.5 ton per year will be set for a while.......

ironpony said:

You selfish mfer!..... Lmfao! I am sooooooo jealous!
Holy cow wish I could store that .. thats awesome!

ironpony said:

I got a 40x30 Cleary building (Sheet skinned "Barn")) in the back. I got room to hold it, but what about the cost. What kind of "Break" are you getting on 22 tons?

DexterDay said:
ironpony said:

I got a 40x30 Cleary building (Sheet skinned "Barn")) in the back. I got room to hold it, but what about the cost. What kind of "Break" are you getting on 22 tons?[/quote]

my cost is well under 200/ton delivered to my door

msmith66 said:
....I know alot of pellet dealers in the area, and i'm told to buy NOW for the next heating season......

Interesting. Not saying you're wrong, but I seem to remember hearing the same thing last spring, and look at what the prices were this past heating season.

I'll probably hedge my bets and buy a ton this spring, and keep my eyes open for "deals" on craigslist....had good luck there in the past.

imacman said:
msmith66 said:
....I know alot of pellet dealers in the area, and i'm told to buy NOW for the next heating season......

Interesting. Not saying you're wrong, but I seem to remember hearing the same thing last spring, and look at what the prices were this past heating season.

I'll probably hedge my bets and buy a ton this spring, and keep my eyes open for "deals" on craigslist....had good luck there in the past.

The tank the oil prices took thru the forcasters a curveball. We have the opposite this year. Oil is climbing. If it settles all bets could change. But the odds are on higher prices come fall. Another was the extremely low(more like a givaway) "price war" prices at the box stores. Right in the heart of heating season, Kind of stalled any price hikes by the pellet houses. This definetly kept the prices in check. If the box stores do that again? It might settle a price rise.

I am not much of a betting man, so you know what I did! :) :cheese:

j-takeman said:
......Another was the extremely low(more like a givaway) "price war" prices at the box stores. Right in the heart of heating season......
I'm thinking that since many of our fellow pigs filled their stash with those low prices, come the fall/winter when the box stores try to ask $6/bag again and nobody buys them, then the $$ should come back down.

Well, that's my theory anyway. ;-P I still have 3.5 tons, so i can hold out awhile.

Scouring the local CL ads has scored me some VERY cheap pellets in the past 2 summers from homeowners that were either disenchanted with their stove, bought too much and needed fast $, or sold their house and need to clear them out of the garage fast.

So are you fine pigs suggesting I should bunker a trailer load this month to beat the price hikes?

If I do a bit of cleaning out I would have the room.

The boss probably wouldn't like it.

SmokeyTheBear said:
So are you fine pigs suggesting I should bunker a trailer load this month to beat the price hikes?

If I do a bit of cleaning out I would have the room.

The boss probably wouldn't like it.

Only if you want to hold some for me and pete too! :) Holy Cow Bear, A full trailer?

I think were safe for spring to early summer. If you bunker your stash by July, you should be OK. After that? I would say the price hike is pretty much a done deal. A few mills are already screaming they don't have enough fiber, And opted out of the spring deals. This takes some heat off the other mills. Less competition means higher prices! Okies and Spruce Pointes(top tier stuff) lost out to some of the other mills last season on the spring deals. This year I think they will lead the pack on best prices. But if there isn't much competition there isn't much holding them back on raising prices early on. Looks like MWP is going to be the winner again with there low prices for the ???(we need a name for them as there better than shoulder, But don't have the top tier backing yet). I am curious to see what Corinth and Maine Choice(geneva) come out with.

I did my homework and studied hard this year! :)

I just talked to my dealer and he has been talking to at least two manufacturers (Clean Burn and North Idaho Energy Logs) and both expect price drops this next heating season. They say they are going to have to lower their prices because there is so much competition from so many different pellet makers. I have a hard time believing this, so I already stocked up for next year. If the prices were to drop, I could always buy some more. I only burn about 2 tons a year, so 2 tons are easy to store in the garage, plus I still have a ton I haven't burned from this year. Total of 3 tons at this point. The funny thing is my local Walmart has had pellets for $5/bag thru all these good prices. I always take a look when I go in there and it appears they have not sold even 1 bag! They need to get a clue!
Flynfrfun

Go back to your old wood burner's mentality, have one season a head of you all the time. I have 6 tons for 2011-2012, I'll be hunting for 2012-2013 next. Good thing is I'll have the room and time for the deal that I think is best for me. Lot less apt to jump on the first deal that comes along that way. Nice thing now, is that I have three years under my belt and a lot more experience and insight into what I am doing. After this last winter, I now know my stove can keep my home warm. Big thing is never let up on the cleaning schedule.

flynfrfun said:
I just talked to my dealer and he has been talking to at least two manufacturers (Clean Burn and North Idaho Energy Logs) and both expect price drops this next heating season. They say they are going to have to lower their prices because there is so much competition from so many different pellet makers. I have a hard time believing this, so I already stocked up for next year. If the prices were to drop, I could always buy some more. I only burn about 2 tons a year, so 2 tons are easy to store in the garage, plus I still have a ton I haven't burned from this year. Total of 3 tons at this point. The funny thing is my local Walmart has had pellets for $5/bag thru all these good prices. I always take a look when I go in there and it appears they have not sold even 1 bag! They need to get a clue!
Flynfrfun

The info I snoop out is for the New England area. Because this stuff is so regional. What happens out west, Is a different game all together. So its good to hear things are good out there. If we have pellet shortages in NE? Its highly likely to see some of the over stock out your way come to our area. Well we can hope that will be the case. It may also help settle our prices, As once some mills say fiber shortage the others are ready to raise there prices in a heart beat! This pellet game is a fun adventure to try to get a handle on. Makes your skull ache at times! "OUCH"

save$ said:
Go back to your old wood burner's mentality, have one season a head of you all the time. I have 6 tons for 2011-2012, I'll be hunting for 2012-2013 next. Good thing is I'll have the room and time for the deal that I think is best for me. Lot less apt to jump on the first deal that comes along that way. Nice thing now, is that I have three years under my belt and a lot more experience and insight into what I am doing. After this last winter, I now know my stove can keep my home warm. Big thing is never let up on the cleaning schedule.

I myself have just joined the year ahead club. I had to rearrange the basement and toss a few unused items(my radial arm saw for one). Having a buffer was tough to afford and scratch the cash for. But should pay off later on with some savings.

So far I am liking this buffer idea! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.