1. rdust

rdust
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 9, 2009
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Pete,

Here are the counties that the fuel wood request form says you can get a permit for. GLADWIN, CLARE, MIDLAND, ISABELLA, IOSCO, ARENAC

2. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete
    Guest 2.
    NULL

Thanks rdust those counties would be a big drive so I guess that is a no go for me.

Pete

3. dogwood

dogwood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 22, 2009
    Loc:
    Western VA
    Red Oak, where or how did you get your National Forest permit in Virginia? Osagebow, where and how did did you get your Virginia forest permit? Is yours a state forest permit or national? I used to have one when I lived in Washington State, and would like to acquire one or both here. Thanks.

4. red oak

red oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 7, 2011
    Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    I just went to the Ranger Office. They give you a form to mark off loads (should display while you're cutting) and a map if you want it. I can go anywhere in the Lee Ranger District, which extends over to Fort Valley in one direction and into West Virginia in the other. A lot of the forestry roads get little traffic, and at the right time of year, a tree can come down close to the road and stay there for weeks. Where in western VA are you?

5. dogwood

dogwood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 22, 2009
    Loc:
    Western VA
    I'm in Botetourt County, red oak. About a half hour north of Roanoke. I'll see if I can track down a rangers office. We're only a short drive from the National Forest. Are the Rangers Office's in the phone book? I don't know where one is around here. Thanks for the info.

Mike

6. red oak

red oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 7, 2011
    Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Yes I originally called them. I'm in Shenandoah County and they are in the phone book here.

7. Adabiviak

Adabiviak
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    In California, you can get permits to cut dead or down trees in the National Forest for what I think is ridiculously cheap (like $25 for 4 cords minimum?). I'm pulling out of the Stanislaus National Forest, but I imagine it's the same for others? I also get the occasional permits from the BLM if there's something tasty on land in their jurisdiction. I must say that while it was tricky to get a hold of the right person at the local BLM chapter, they were exceptionally helpful (and cheap too).

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    look up nat forests in your state, on the net. GO to USFS website. IT will list ranger districts and you go there in person to get a $20 permit.

9. dogwood

dogwood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 22, 2009
    Loc:
    Western VA
    Thanks clemsonfor and red oak.

Mike

10. bcfarms

bcfarms
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 27, 2012
    Loc:
    Chaplin, CT
    I've gotten the CT permit in the past. It is given by a lottery type system and a limited amount are appropriated per county. It's $60 for 2 cord that they mark in a designated area by the state forester. The last two years the wood has been primarily birch. Three years ago is was more varied and was basically remnants from a logging operation. It's not huge tree but it all burns and its usually way over 2 cord that they mark in everyone's individual lot.