state or local county parks, can I get their trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corriewf

Dec 2, 2009
Central VA
So I saw on my thread wining about my inability to be a real man that you can get a permit to national forests? How does that work especially in regards to local county parks? I got one around the corner with soo many trees down just wasting away. I hate to see them rot.

It is going to vary place to place. Around here (central PA) some state forests allow woodcutting, mainly of downed wood, I think. Some state parks do too. County parks might allow wood collecting, or if not perhaps you can contact the maintenance guys who can allow you to remove wood they have cut. Even if wood harvesting isn't part of the management plan, any park with trees will have maintenance removal of downed trees or will have live trees cleared for one reason or another. Nobody wants to see wood rotting in the landfill, so I think they'll work with you if regulations allow and it is not extra trouble for them. On the other hand, wood rotting in the forest may be considered a part of nature, not a waste of wood.

Corriewf said:
So I saw on my thread wining about my inability to be a real man that you can get a permit to national forests? How does that work especially in regards to local county parks? I got one around the corner with soo many trees down just wasting away. I hate to see them rot.

I don't know about local or county parks. I asked at one local park and the guy said they do all the cutting and pile it up in the parking lot for anybody to come get. I was bummed out because there was a good size (10" at the base) dead dogwood I wanted. And you know what the next time I took the kids to the park the tree was cut down. Pissed me off. Anyway, from my experience they are not going to allow anyone in there cutting because of liability issues. Now I did contact Pocahontas State Park, since your from central VA you may be close by, and they said that they do allow harvesting under certain conditions. Basically you get on a list and they'll call you. Or that's the way it's supposed to work. I haven't heard anything from them since I got on the "list". I'd say your state forests are more likely to allow this type of thing. Good luck.

Apply for a grant under a cool green name and the feds will pay you to take the trees. If 72000 dead people can get stimulus bucks, Ill support you getting a grant.

Wooddust" date=" said:
Apply for a grant under a cool green name and the feds will pay you to take the trees. If 72000 dead people can get stimulus bucks, Ill support you getting a grant.

My dad is injun... Maybe if I go in my underwear and claim they built the park on my " land " they will just let me go on my merry way. I mean a chainsaw makes for one awesome tomahawk.....too bad I'm too white to pull it off. I guess I could start a wet lands preservation group of me, myself, and I. :)

I know here in Ohio you can get a permit to cut in the state forest. Works out pretty well. I've done this several times. For ten dollars you can spend the day cutting. They do limit the amount of wood you can get for the day. The son and i went out on Sunday and we cut nearly a cord. Can't hurt to call them and see if they have a program that's similar.

Corriewf said:
Wooddust" date=" said:

My dad is injun... Maybe if I go in my underwear and claim they built the park on my " land " they will just let me go on my merry way. I mean a chainsaw makes for one awesome tomahawk.....too bad I'm too white to pull it off. I guess I could start a wet lands preservation group of me, myself, and I. :)

Well. If you want to do anything wetland related just give me a call. Other than that the draws thang might work. :bug:.

nonetheless said:
Corriewf said:
Wooddust" date=" said:

Well. If you want to do anything wetland related just give me a call. Other than that the draws thang might work. :bug:.

On a serious note, theres a park around the corner that has downed trees every ten feet or so. Its pretty bad. Some of the trees dont look safe as they are leaning. They need to be cut down. I will call the none emergency police dept number tomorrow and see if I can find out hwo to call. They need something to do up there for that big bucks.I would think if I signed a waiver. :)

Corriewf said:
nonetheless said:
Corriewf said:
Wooddust" date=" said:

On a serious note, theres a park around the corner that has downed trees every ten feet or so. Its pretty bad. Some of the trees dont look safe as they are leaning. They need to be cut down. I will call the none emergency police dept number tomorrow and see if I can find out hwo to call. They need something to do up there for that big bucks.I would think if I signed a waiver. :)

Dont call a bureaucrat. They are genetically programmed to mutter "no" regardless of request. Call a county Commissioner. They need votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.