State steps up with assist for wood-pellet plant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyip2

Jan 27, 2008
[email protected]
NICE!!!!!! Good old NH stepping up to assist. This is great because there were paper mills where this plant is going, up in Berlin NH. There many people laid off when they closed the paper plant. I'm happy that they are going to make pellets. I will be sure to buy some to support the efeort. I hope they visit NEWP's plant in Jaffrey so they can learn how it is done as NEWP's are a great product.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=45b0de09-3878-471c-acca-49c009709034

Thats funny my wife is from Berlin, NH. Been there a few times to visit her relatives. Glad the Mill will be put to good use.

Shawn

hyip2 said:
NICE!!!!!! Good old NH stepping up to assist. This is great because there were paper mills where this plant is going, up in Berlin NH. There many people laid off when they closed the paper plant. I'm happy that they are going to make pellets. I will be sure to buy some to support the efeort. I hope they visit NEWP's plant in Jaffrey so they can learn how it is done as NEWP's are a great product.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=45b0de09-3878-471c-acca-49c009709034

Their doing the same thing at a former paper mill in Old Town Maine as well. This company in this article is going to use whole logs....and grind themselves.....excellent. Excellent! Love this kind of news......eventually...its going to catch up with the Arabs....for years the Europeans have been using alternative fuel much more than Americans....now its our turn.....I hope people push forward with all kinds of choices as an alternative to oil. :)

Good investments, hopefully.

One problem is that our system 100% will allow us to build it up with local and state money------and THEN the arabs or anyone else can buy the plant! After all, guess who owns the biggest plastics plant in Ma? Yes, it used to be GE but is now Kingdom Holding Company.

Maybe they should make these companies sign that they will retain American ownership for "x" long. After all, the real idea is that we will have American companies, not ones where Americans work and the profits go to the Saudis!

There is plenty of pulp in the area. Loggers are currently sending everything to Canada. It will be nice to give them a local venue for their product.

I also like the trend of mills using pulp and NOT relying on sawdust. It may be slightly more expensive, but at least there is the development of a secondary source.

Webmaster said:
Good investments, hopefully.

One problem is that our system 100% will allow us to build it up with local and state money------and THEN the arabs or anyone else can buy the plant! After all, guess who owns the biggest plastics plant in Ma? Yes, it used to be GE but is now Kingdom Holding Company.

I agree Craig to a point. I'm not a fan of federal money......but dont have a problem with TIF districts etc IF we have logical firm stipulations to guarantee long term commitment. Its funny you mention GE.....GE Healthcare just bought out the company my son works for which is a long time British Company(Whatman paper was used by lots of historic events....the DOI was written on Whatman Paper lol).

I'm sure many here will not agree with me, but by and large I am a fan of free enterprise and not so much of the government paying for businesses. Even though it causes difficulty at times, businesses will come and go according to supply and demand in the long term. I myself have been let go from two plant closures, but I understand that this happens.

There's my 2 cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.