Staying "clean" when cutting/splittin’ wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifthopper

Apr 12, 2007
www.drifthoppers.net
How do you guys stay clean when cutting or splitting wood?

Staying clean ….meaning:

If you just want to come into the house for a cup of coffee, that your not dragging all kinds of chips or saw dust into the kitchen.

Or if you’re loading wood into the back of your truck, and have to move it up to the next pile or so, that your not getting your seat all covered with bark or wood?

Last Saturday I was splitting and loading some wood during a misty drizzle rain, and all kinds of stuff just sort of stuck to my pants and chaps and when I got into my truck on Sunday grabbing a dried dirty door handle I wondered how others dealt with “the mess”.

I don't.

If the floor was just swept- I'll often take off my shirt and say "adios pantalones" on occasion as well. Shake them off and let them air out on the porch. Otherwise- shake off a little and take off mah boots.

Honestly- it just doesn't bother me. I'm a disgusting mess all day when I cut wood and I love it.

Years ago I tired of ruining many a good pair of jeans doing wood/yard work. Now in the summer I keep an old pair of summer weight BDU's hanging in the wood shed when I go outside that's what I wear...I'll wear the same pair for a week before washing. In the winter I just put on a pair of Carharts over the shorts I usually have on. Cut's down on my personal laundry pile big time and by changing clothes in the woodshed I don't contaminate the house with outside dirt either.

I will sit on the porch and order my coffee from my wife. Or a beer as a matter of fact

Stay clean while cutting and splitting wood ha ha ,impossible.

i stay cleaner by not drinking coffee.

get dirty, squish those grubs, wear bark for a helmet, we're splitting wood man, mess is unavoidable.

moondoggy said:
get dirty, squish those grubs, wear bark for a helmet, we're splitting wood man, mess is unavoidable.

Baahaaa, ha, ha. Bark for a helmet.....priceless.

Drifthopper said:
How do you guys stay clean when cutting or splitting wood?

Staying clean ….meaning:
If you just want to come into the house for a cup of coffee, that your not dragging all kinds of chips or saw dust into the kitchen.

I'm not allowed in the house whilst filthy :sick: , so, I got people to heed to my beckoned call. She's pretty good at front porch delivery.

I bring my coffee or water with me. No beer before or during this work. I'll celebrate and admire it with a Sam Adams when it is over.

Then a change in the shed or garage, when I'm all done.

Be safe and sharp!

Wearing coveralls is a pretty simple solution. I have some lightweight ones for the spring and fall and insulated for the winter. During the summer I just cannot do it...

I own a vacumn cleaner, soap, sink, shower and I'm pretty good at ignoring things on the floor.

I simply brush shirt and pants off and stamp boots a few times. This is of course to simply go in to get something from the fridge, then right back out (not flopping down on the couch to watch the game).

If methods beyond this are required, maybe burning wood (in one's house, not basement) should be reconsidered.

So .....Basically you guys just live with it ..eh.

It just seams like a no win situtation when you want to come in for something eat or drink,,,,like a 3 or 4 minute break, and have to go thru the hassle of un-dressing, taking your boots off ...etc.

Oh ..well....walk in , get what ya need , clean up later.

I use one of these. It has a zipper on the pant cuffs that allows my boots to slid right over. Plus us conservatives look good in military garb. ;-)

01.jpg

is your middle name "Martha" or something :)

Stay clean while cutting and splitting wood ha ha ,impossible, or to put it another way, thats about as likely as obana making a good president.

I couldnt agree more, Its not very likely you would stay clean and neither is the Latter. I just use my high pressure air compressor and blast everything off prior to entering. Works great!!

I also take off my meat hat and put it in the fridge so the meat doesnt go bad!!!

Working with wood = dirty.

Heating with wood = happiness.

Therefore being dirty = happiness. :) ;)

----

I do the cutting and splitting at the woodlot so I tend to bring my drinks with me. I am a filthy mess by lunch or by day's end though so when I come home for a meal or to end the day I'm like Adios Pantalones . . . the shirt is tossed, boots are removed and the pants come off in the garage or in the Mudroom.

I get pretty dirty too especially in the muddy season. My problem is not cofffee, beer, or water since I own a thermos, cooler, and mug. My problem is poddy. In our backyard I can see a few houses which means that they can see me which means I have to be sneaky about poddy or go inside. The previously mentioned beverages cause many trips to the head. Of course, out in the woods this is not a problem but then again there is no house to dirty when you're out in the woods.

I stomp the boots, shake off the chips, and carefully tip toe into the house. Getting into the truck if I'm really dirty I've been known to rinse off with a splash from the water bottle or melted ice from the cooler.

I can go for days without bathing and be pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.