Steal on Ebay: Hearthstone Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corie,
There's plenty of time for the price to go up. The auction ends on 12/23.

I suspect someone will be very sorry they didn't use the "Buy It Now" option.
~Cath

Hey that ebay pic has another stove in it to the left there, wonder if that's the replacement, looks like it may be a catalytic, has the ivory handle on it there, I enlarged it and can't tell what stove it actually is....

Bet somebody on here can tell for sure.

ansehnlich1 said:
Hey that ebay pic has another stove in it to the left there, wonder if that's the replacement, looks like it may be a catalytic, has the ivory handle on it there, I enlarged it and can't tell what stove it actually is....

Bet somebody on here can tell for sure.

Replacement stove looks like an Intrepid. FWIW, I saw a Pacific Energy Summit listed earlier in the day with the identical sales pitch, pretty much verbatim and was going to put a bid in on it. I'm virtually certain it was the same seller but I can't find any reference to that stove on eBay now and I can't see it on any of the seller's other auctions. Good feedback, but I thought I would throw that out there since I think it's pretty doubtful that his wife's boss had both a Phoenix and a Summit in the same office. I think it's worth a question to the seller.

Edit: From the listing comments someone also picked up on the Summit but eBay had rejected the listing so it will be coming back online.

OK the Summit is back online here and with the same pitch as the Phoenix!! Are we to believe that his wife's boss had a Summit and it was too hot for a 432 SF space so he got a Phoenix and it was also too hot, or vice-versa?

Is this guy just too lazy to write a better ad, or is there some other story behind the listings. Who knows, it may be the truth and the Summit looks to be in pretty good shape for decent buy it now price but as they say caveat emptor

I ain't sure but there appears to be more to this thing than just a good old fashioned sale of a woodstove on ebay.........

I sent the guy a note and asked just how many big ass wood stoves his wife's boss had tried in that office.

ansehnlich1 said:
I ain't sure but there appears to be more to this thing than just a good old fashioned sale of a woodstove on ebay.........

The auctions are posted under two different accounts. It's possible that it could be one person, but the posting styles of the two auctions are completely different.

The first link above uses the stock ebay auction format, and uses the stock ebay photo tools. The pictures are OK, but not great.

The second link is posted by somebody much ore experienced on ebay (also evidenced by the feedback rating). The second link is using a custom made auction layout. There are many more photos in the second link, showing many more angles as well as better closeups of the stove.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment about there being something going on, but this is just what I noticed about the actions as somebody that used to work selling used/surplus computer equipment on ebay a few years back.

-SF

The guy's reply:

"He's very much into quality products, which both of these stoves are. Can't knock him for having good taste. These are just a little too big for the space. This 3000 s.f. rated one was first, then the 2000 s.f. rated one. Next one is rated for up to 1000 s.f. and is just about perfect. Someone is going to get a great deal because of this trial and error method. Will it be you?"

Methinks this seller bears watching. Does he also list snake oil in another auction?

BrotherBart said:
The guy's reply:

"He's very much into quality products, which both of these stoves are. Can't knock him for having good taste. These are just a little too big for the space. This 3000 s.f. rated one was first, then the 2000 s.f. rated one. Next one is rated for up to 1000 s.f. and is just about perfect. Someone is going to get a great deal because of this trial and error method. Will it be you?"

BB,
Maybe what he would have said if his wife's boss wouldn't read it, is that he has more money than brains.

Call me gullible but I kind of believe him. The Summit looks like it was used longer and is outside which would be consistent with it being replaced by the Phoenix awhile ago. If the "replacement" stove is an Intrepid then he would seem to have finally downsized to 1000 sf. (Although I'm not sure it's an Intrepid, it looks like the handle might be on the wrong side.) I'm guessing even something that small might be too big.

Also, if you check out the terms of sale on both the Summit and the Phoenix he is only looking for a $100.00 deposit. The stove must be picked up within 14 days but if you arrange to pick it up before the remainder is due (within 7 days), the most you would seem to be at risk of losing is $100.00; and this seller offers PayPal protection up to $200.00.

"Terms of Sale: Payment via PAYPAL or Cash ONLY. No checks of any nature, PERIOD. Please do not even ask.
Deposit of $100 US due within 48 hours of auction via PayPal, Balance within 7 days. Must pick up within 14 days of auction end."

Having said that, I was interested but the comments here make me question whether it's worth the potential aggravation.

~Cath

Cath:
If you're interested in the stove, I say go ahead and bid. The seller has over 100 auctions worth of 100% positive feedback. If you're close enough to pick the stove up, take cash with you and pay when you pick up the stove. You don't have to worry about paying for something you never receive that way. If the stove isn't as advertised, you can also see that immediately and tell the guy "thanks but no thanks". He might try and tell you that your bid is binding, but honestly, if the stove wasn't represented properly on the add, that isn't your problem.

From this guys feedback though, I wouldn't hesitate bidding on an item that I planned to pick up in person.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
... From this guys feedback though, I wouldn't hesitate bidding on an item that I planned to pick up in person. ...

SF,
That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately, it's not like the stove is nearby. It would be a day long road trip ... about 150 miles each way. Even if our time weren't valuable that represents about $120.00 or more in gas and wear and tear on the truck.

I'll keep an eye on it and check back here later to see if anyone here has any theories on what might be going on.

~Cath

What you see is what you get. Both stoves look OK. On EBAY who knows what people say. If it turns out to be a good deal and you don't pay till you pick it up, then you have control over what you are getting: not sight unseen. Having said all that, this guy must have a lot of money to keep buying stoves until he finds the right one. I'm right in this area and if it was a Mansfield I'd be there now.

Unless I'm mistaken the seller just ended the auction for $710, something doesn't add up . . .

churchie said:
Unless I'm mistaken the seller just ended the auction for $710, something doesn't add up . . .

Yep. Sold it to somebody in NY.

I saw that the other Phoenix in VT is for sale by an EBAy reseller, saw his website on a google search. If you are really interested in that type stove, that might be a deal.

So I got the story, somebody showed up with $900 cash and the guy ended the auction. The owner (read: Doctor) still has his friend listing the Pacific Energy, make him an offer and you got yourself a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.