Steamer Kettle-rusty inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cighon

Mar 11, 2008
Northern NJ
my steamer kettle is very rusty on the inside. does anyone clean them out our just let it be and keep adding water. if you clean it or paint the inside, what do you use?

also do you use a trivet under the kettle?

No trivet and just dump out whats loose. I do admit to cleaning (wire brush) and painting the outside every year or two, or as needed.

If it really bugs you, I s'pose you could try swishing a dilute vinegar solution around in it and dumping, rinsing and re-filling. Rick

cighon said:
my steamer kettle is very rusty on the inside. does anyone clean them out our just let it be and keep adding water. if you clean it or paint the inside, what do you use?

also do you use a trivet under the kettle?
you can season it just like a skilet

smokinj said:

Hmmm....never thought of that. Wouldn't constant boiling water over a period of time take care of the seasoning though?

Jags said:
smokinj said:

Hmmm....never thought of that. Wouldn't constant boiling water over a period of time take care of the seasoning though?
no you would want to bake it at 350 for 30 min rob it down with lard frist

smokinj said:
Jags said:
smokinj said:

Ya, that part I'm with, but after that, would boiling water (for the same reason you don't soak a cast iron skillet) ruin the seasoning?

smokinj said:
Jags said:
smokinj said:

clean it frist

Status
Not open for further replies.