Steel box with cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upstate NY

Sep 19, 2012
I am in the market for my first wood burning stove and have a question around steel vs cast iron. I am converned about the possibility of having to do a rebuild down the road if I purchase a cast iron stove, yet I prefer the appearance over a steel stove.

My first question is how likely a rebuild is with a cast iron stove. I am looking at either a VC encore or a Jotul 500. Second, what issues develop with a steel stove if they don't need to be rebuilt like a cast iron?

Given these thoughts, I have started looking at some models where the stove is a steel box jacketed in cast iron. I found the Napoleon 1400C which seems to fit this bill and although I am not entirely sure, it looks like the Jotul rangeley may also be in this class. I am curious what the opinion on theses hybrid type models is.

I have found a lot of good information on this forum, but haven't found this exact issue discussed. Thanks for the help in advance.

Any stove is going to need some attention after say 10 years of 24/7 winter burning. If the stove is used nights and weekends, then maybe one can go 20 years, so this is just a general guidance. Cast iron stoves like the Jotul F500 may need burn plates or perhaps a grate replacement after a decade of steady use. But a steel stove may need new bricks, baffle and insulation blanket after that same period of time. Note that this is a generality because not all steel stoves are built the same way, nor are all cast stoves the same either. Far from it. There are significantly different designs. And the same stove run differently may have an entirely different time span before needing rebuilding. I would worry less about the rebuilding and focus more on the actual heating needs regarding stove design plus stove size and then find the best models within your budget.

In the case of cast mid-sized iron clad stoves there are many choices. For example, In addition to Napoleon's choices, Quadrafire makes the Cumberland Gap, Jotul makes the F50 and F55, Pacific Energy makes the Alderlea series, Enviro makes the Boston. All of these stoves are good heaters. Note that these stoves are not hybrids, which refers more to their burning system, they are simply cast iron jacketed steel stoves. So far they are proving to be good heaters with closer clearances and nice burning. The firebox shape varies and some are side loaders vs front or top loaders. But they are all competent heaters.

I own a Rangeley, personally, and it's a phenomenal stove! I'm in Upstate NY as well, with a 1850 sq. ft. 2-story house and the Jotul keeps the temps between 68 - 72 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.