Steel EPA Non Cat Stove Top Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
So I am asking, with steel non-cat EPA stoves...what temps do you run on top the stove. My flue temps are typically around 400 but the stove is often at 700+. Is this normal?

Hi Mike- yeah 700 can easily happen with full loads of dry wood. Most steel stoves stovetop temps of 350-800 would be considered normal. I believe ideally 400-600 but does depend on your wood, your chimney draft and just how much heat you need from your stove to be warm.... good luck. PS, stove pipe temps about one foot up single wall pipe are typically 100-150 degrees cooler than the stove top temp.

On a full load of wood my liberty will go to 750 with no problem hover there for an hour or two then starts to drop off slowly. Flue temps are usually 300 to 400.

Last edited:
Really, 700+ stovetop temps are ok? Mine hits 600 and I start to scale it back.

Following thread....

I try to keep mine under 600 - 650 max in cruise mode, which is plenty hot enough for me anyway. I know that sometimes 700 or even 750 can be reached accidentally but IMO those should be kept at a minimum. My Condar thermometer says "Too Hot" above 650.

I try to hold'em below 700. Don't always succeed but....

One time I did get the opportunity to find out that it won't split down the middle at 1,000, but I don't advise doing that.

Kind of a dumb question, do these temps hold true for inserts too?

Not dumb at all. Steel inserts experience similar temps, it just is harder to measure a lot of them

Reactions: AnalogKid
In most cases, one can simply read the manual which came with the stove and it will give the recommended high temperatures. Some stoves are as low as 600 while others can be 800.

Zero mention of high temps in my manual.

Depends on the quality of stoves. If it's a lower quality with the 3/16th steel you should stay below 600.

My Country Hearth zooms right up to 700 on only a few small pieces of wood ,i got to watch it closely as it will keep going if i dont back the air down. Its a small stove so i guess thats why it heats up so fast.

In most cases, one can simply read the manual which came with the stove and it will give the recommended high temperatures. Some stoves are as low as 600 while others can be 800.

Most do not give an actual number for overfire. This is for a few good reasons, voiding your warranty is at the top. Accuracy of typical meters is not great and they want to be able to always say you must have overfired it to cause that damage.

When pressed, 800 is a typical overfire temp but you won't see it written too often.

In most cases, one can simply read the manual which came with the stove and it will give the recommended high temperatures. .

My manual doesn't give any temps, it just says, "if the stove starts to glow..."

Reactions: BrowningBAR
I have no problem when the 30NC is sitting at 650-750.

For the Defiant and Encore, I keep it at the 600-700 area for high temps.

If it's a lower quality with the 3/16th steel you should stay below 600.

LIke Harman, Lopi, Regency, Quadrafire, Avalon, Blaze King...

Reactions: BrowningBAR
My workshop NC-30 rarely see.s anything over 650. One reason is i have a weak draft. Mostly because its hooked up to a 12" ( yes thats 12 inch flue)masonry chimney. I didnt even think it would work originally but it works so well i left it alone. I guess its guaranteed NOT to overheat.

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of stoves. If it's a lower quality with the 3/16th steel you should stay below 600.

Even stoves with thick steel tops usually use thinner steel everywhere else. When overfire damage occurs, it isn't usually the top that fails. It's some interior piece of plate like a steel baffle or even cracks around a door frame.

My Blaze king and Englander are both well built stoves with similar steel thickness and much different price points.

My harman makes a lot of racket when the afterburn kicks in,ting,ting ,ting, I hear thats normal. Thats how i know its up to temp.
It puts out more heat on low than the englander does on high. But for the price of it ,it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.