Steel flu and ice dams?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybrnr

Nov 24, 2007
Central MA
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning the purchase of a home which has only one flu (for the oil fired boiler). Id' like to install a wood stove on the main floor (single story ranch) and vent it using a class A stainless insulated flu. I will be using the insulated flu to run thru the attic and out the roof. The attic is vented by large gable vents on either side of the house. The roof is a shallow hip.

My question is in regards to the flu heating the attic and causing a possible ice dam situation. I searched the site and didn't seem to find much on this so...

Will the heat transferred from the insulated flu in the attic be enough to heat the attic and possibly cause ice dams?
Is there additional insulation which I can use to wrap the flu to lessen heat loss into the attic?

-dave

Haven't heard this being a big problem, but I don't know for sure, and w/ a 12/12 pitch roof, ice dams aren't real high on my list of worries.

One thing you could do that might reduce heating of the attic is to enclose your flue where it passes through the attic - you have to maintain a 2" clearance to the pipe, but it shouldn't be a big problem to build a box around it, and possibly even put a layer or two of insulation on it.

Gooserider

thanks Goose!

good idea with boxing in the flu in the attic....if it becomes a problem.

I appreciate you reply and I'm learning a whole lot on this forum!

-dave

how do you have gable vents on hip roof? ice dams should not be a problem, the chimney flashing has vent holes right at the top so all the heated air flows up through the flashing. also any warm air that does not make it will rise up to the ridge where any melting would not be a problem. ice dams are a problem down at the eve. if you can heat that far down you have bigger problems.

Goose has the righ idea, we build insulated chases a few time a year when ice dams have been an issue.

I would buld a frame while I was in the attic for the instal, just under 24" square works out for most unless there are elbows to deal with. If the access is good 3/4" insulation board and tin tape make a good chase, If your in a real pich for working room bubble foil and tape helps too.

Garett

Status
Not open for further replies.