Steel Liner In an Old Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
I am buying a home built in the late 1890's. The chimney that I plan to use for the wood stove bends once it hits the attic level. Once it reaches the floor in the attics it leans to the left. I have been told that this is common in old homes. I've been told that they use to built the chimney and then "Bend" it so that it would not go through the peaks of the roof. Can I have such a chimney lined with SS? The only other option I would have is to run it out the wall and install a stack along the house..... I hope to avoid that. Does anybody have experience with this? Oh yeah...... It is a brick chimney that runs through the home.

Thanks
Deuce

Another option is a poured in place liner. This can be done if the bends are not too great. There are at least three poured in place systems. Supaflu, www.supaflu.com, is the only one with which I've had direct and very positive experience. Cost 5 years ago was comparable to a steel liner.

Thats why they are called flex liners, they can go through bends. It should be possible but you wont know unless you have someone come check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.