Steel over cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JImmmy

Oct 4, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello,
I have an old Kickapoo wood stove. The refractory fire box has finally started to come apart. So I chipped out all the old cement and poured a new fire box. Lots of work but it looks great.

Here is my question; I want to lay a 1/4" plate of steel over the floor of the firebox with a cutout around the grate area. In my mind this will protect the new refractory cement. This way I wont be burning right on top of the cement. It will also give a nice smooth surface to scrape the ashes off of. The plate will be about 17" X 22" with a cutout for the grate.

What do you guys think ??

Thanks

I wonder if that plate should have some angle iron welded on its edges, to help keep it flat.. or some other stiffening plan put in place. I'm wondering if a plain piece of flat plate would stay flat.

I wonder if that plate should have some angle iron welded on its edges, to help keep it flat.. or some other stiffening plan put in place. I'm wondering if a plain piece of flat plate would stay flat.
Thanks Pen.
You just gave me a great idea... if I weld some angle iron around the sides to stiffen it up I can also use that edge to support the bottom of the side fire bricks. I agree there is the risk of the plate warping. Nice thought. !!
Thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.