steel roofing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrench340

Apr 3, 2008
Durhamville,NY
sorry way off the path here ,I'm building a new house for my mother and am using steel roofing .the question is do I need to put battons under the steel if I'm using spray foam insulation under the plywood ?

What is code in your area? If your using ply covering all the trusses or rafters then tar paper and screw to the ply roof. You can use bat strips but keep in mind the metal will sweat if the under side touches air sop many people put it straight to the tar paper and dont lift it off the roof with strips. Ive not out many tin roofs on but this is the way it is usually done around here. Ask around. See a metal roof some where stop and ask

I use perlins for the increased airflow. It also makes installation easier as you have something to walk on if it is a steeper roof. To make any eventual leak less catastrophic, I slot the perlins for drainage and rain/ice the whole deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.