Steel stove temp????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourhouse

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2006
Norfolk Ma
I was wondering how hot I should run my stove at. The stove directions don't give any temps to go by. Is 600 degrees ok? Can I go hotter or is 600 to hot. Any help would be great.

Thanks John

500-600 is a good target temp.

To be honest i think it depends on the stove its self , size and how thick the steel is and at what house temp you are trying to maintain with different outside temp's.

Wile running a smaller steel stove with a 2.0 cf fire box and the stove is made of 3/16" & 1/4" steel @ 550°
vs a larger steel stove with a 3.0 cf fire box made of 1/4" and 3/8" at 550° is going to put out a lot more heat.
It all depends on the size of the stove and the mass of the stove as to how much heat you need in your home.

Your guide line is going to be the heat you need and not a set stove top temp.
If you need less heat ... run it lower
More heat ...run it hotter.
You'll have to get to know you stove to determine how low you can go and get a clean burn and also how hot you can run your stove and no be over firing it all the time.

The weather changes all the time as with the out side temps going from 50° to -20° and you would have a hard time keeping a set temp in your home with a stove that only ran at around 550°.

The question you could ask your dealer or stove company is what is the max temp i can run my make and model of stove at.

A wood stove is not like a house furnace .........
You cant run the stove at say 550° all the time and when the house is warm to your set goal temp then the heat tuns off and then comes back on later.

Thanks guys, I have been trying to figure it out. I just don't want to over fire anything.

You could always follow the directions on my Regency stoves.

If the top of the stove and stovepipe are glowing red, you are overfiring the stove! This is true! I overfired it once without damaging anything, but it was a scary sight.

I would not think twice at running it at 700, if you need it. The heat difference coming off the stove from 600 to 700 is nothing short of amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.