Steel studs on back wall double studs or single

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy_B

Dec 23, 2010
Southern N.H.
Building the back wall for my wood stove which I to attach cement board and stone veneer. The steel studs when used for regular construction building a wall the studs are used singularly which is naturally common sense....ok. But when building the back wall should I double up the studs to accept the weight of cement board, veneer mortar and a field stone style of veneer? Also should the the steel studs be secured where I'd have about an 1 1/4 space as to the other way with the stud allowing a 2 3/4 space. I know a min. of 1" is required space and was also informed that not to use a long screw that would secure the cement board and studs into the wall of the room it's being installed due to heat transferred to the homes original wall structure.

There is no gain in making the wall deeper. i would go with the 1.25" space. Just be sure to leave a gap or openings per stud cavity of an inch at the top and bottom so that the air behind the wall can freely convect.

What gauge steel are u planning to use? Partition studs are pretty light.
Framing steel is more difficult to work with, but made to hold up.
Look at some 1.5" - 'hat' channel, and think about using some small mollys inserted close to a stud to attatch it.
It might also be a good idea to put a couple extra screws in the drywall next to each molly. Maybe 12" apart on mollys.

Sorry! Reread ur post and see ur building a new wall.
If using partition material, I think I would double them back to back with a little adhesive between them.

Edit - add some sheetmetal screws to secure the adhesive.

Hope I havent confused anyone other than myself.
If ur attatching to an existing wall like I'm about to do, look at the 1.5" hat.

Ok a space of 1 1/4" will suffice for as an air gap and ventilation top and bottom has already been factored in the build to allow for convection.

Status
Not open for further replies.