steel water storage tank ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidsteer

Jan 30, 2008
eastern ct
hello every one been enjoying some great info from you all I'm In the process of getting some materials gathered up for my upcoming project( water storage )what does every one think about using a steel tank and burring the tank to keep my precious storage space is there any kind of additives to protect the steel and keep the water from becoming dank be back with many Moore questions by the way its going to be a non pressurized tank with copper coils does having copper in a steel tank cause any unforeseen problems

I think buried is OK, but I worry about keeping the insulation from becoming waterlogged. If it's a plain steel tank, I think you don't want the copper to touch it. Using a brass fitting as a passthru is OK as far as I know.

I haven't checked the water in mine. I'm pretty sure it's sterilized during the winter. I threw some wax in it to melt and form a surface layer to reduce evaporation. I floated an EPDM sheet on top of that, and caulked it to the rim. Mine is stainless and above ground - so far so good.

You'd want to make sure that there's no possibility of anyone falling in. 180 degree water would be instantly lethal.

Note to self:cooking neighboors = bad

ABGWD4U said:
Note to self:cooking neighboors = bad

Additional note cooking deer delicious, cooking squirrel enjoyable.

For insulation could you use the spray foam and then cover it with that boat wrap stuff with a few vent tubes so it can breath?

The upper temperature limit of closed cell spray foam is 180° F.

Beyond that we must use special High Temp foam.

nofossil said:
I think buried is OK, but I worry about keeping the insulation from becoming waterlogged. If it's a plain steel tank, I think you don't want the copper to touch it. Using a brass fitting as a passthru is OK as far as I know.

I haven't checked the water in mine. I'm pretty sure it's sterilized during the winter. I threw some wax in it to melt and form a surface layer to reduce evaporation. I floated an EPDM sheet on top of that, and caulked it to the rim. Mine is stainless and above ground - so far so good.

You'd want to make sure that there's no possibility of anyone falling in. 180 degree water would be instantly lethal.
Top of tank will be seeled leaving about a 3x3 man hole to acess coils or what not in the future not worried about ground water far above that. Someone mentioned the sprayfoam temp rating 180 deg have to check into that that could be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.