Steer me in the direction for a first saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prollynotjeff

Jan 23, 2011
twin tiers ny
I would prefer to get a Stihl or a husqvarna since both are local dealers with a good stock of parts. I have used a chainsaw a very small amount but things are about to change since I just picked up a new house with a OWB. It sounds like I will be cutting about 8-10 cords a year. Even know its my first saw I work with power tools often so I am not concerned with being new, i'll take my time and learn. I would like to get a good saw right from the start, what do you guys suggest? Model and price you paid if you have that saw.

Thanks!

Stihl 046/MS460 mag..

One saw will do it all..

New around $1000

Used $350 and up

O I rebuilt a 046 mag..Got under $300 in it.. My new go to saw!!!!

southbound said:
Stihl 046/MS460 mag..

One saw will do it all..

New around $1000

Used $350 and up

O I rebuilt a 046 mag..Got under $300 in it.. My new go to saw!!!!

lol glad you seen the light +10000

I have to agree a stihl 046 ms460 is the way to go used 350 up new around 1000 but if you don't need one that big look at the ms290 new 375 used 150 to 250 its a good smaller saw You can pick up used 029 or 028 for 150 to 200 and that would be a great saw also. I wouldn't suggest nothing smaller than that though.

prollynotjeff- I have to ask, how much weight are you willing to mess with? Some of the better/ more powerful saws come with a price (weight). The 046/460 is a great saw series, but will you feel comfortable using one? Go to your dealers, check the saws and wield them like "Leatherface". Go for the 'Pro" saws, if the wallet allows. Your username suggests that you're female? Am I correct or smoking crack? Jay and South know a hell'uva lot more about saws than I do, just give them some parameters to work with, it'll help them and you. Good luck. JB

localLEE said:
Eye da no guys. 460 right outta da gate!!??? We want the newb around for awhile dohnt we? How's about sumtin a bit smaller and then work into the 460.
ms 170

Beetle-Kill said:
8-10 cord/ year, don't be silly. Wait until "she" chips in, then you can go from there.

Sorry, I don't own one, so I couldn't spell-check off of the side cover. Thanks for the correction. :)

prollynotjeff said:
I would prefer to get a Stihl or a husqvarna since both are local dealers with a good stock of parts. I have used a chainsaw a very small amount but things are about to change since I just picked up a new house with a OWB. It sounds like I will be cutting about 8-10 cords a year. Even know its my first saw I work with power tools often so I am not concerned with being new, i'll take my time and learn. I would like to get a good saw right from the start, what do you guys suggest? Model and price you paid if you have that saw.

Thanks!

Are you cutting hardwoods or western softwoods?

If you haven't used saws much you might want to start out on a good 50cc or 60cc saw and go from there.

I would check out the Arborist Site and see recommendations.

The following models come to mind for a good first time saw in the Stihl and Husky lineups:

50cc Saws:

MS 260
346XP

The 346 XP has the definite edge in this category if you buy a new edition model. It has the best balance and capabilities of any 50cc class saw currently on the market.

60cc Saws

MS 360, 361 are really the only real choices in this category for weight reasons Husky does make the 357XP but it's just not the same saw performance wise as the 360/361. You could look into a Dolmar in this range but you said Husky or Shihl.

70cc Saws

372 XP,XPW
MS440, 441

I have both and I prefer the 372, I feel it has better balance and it responds to muffler mods/porting better. The Stihl does seem to have more bottom end capabilities on the saw without having to wind it up in the cut, but it cuts slower IMO than the 372. Both are excellent saws

I'm not sure I'd go above 70cc for a first saw, plus as a primary saw you're getting into units that have a lot of weight even though they have more power.

I wholly endorse buying a pro-class saw your first time out because as you move down the road you'll regret it later if you don't. My first saw was a 455 Rancher and within 2 years I upgraded because of weight/power reasons.

TMonter has pretty much got it covered .
Personally , I'd opt for something in the 70cc range ,but that's just Me .

Nixon said:
TMonter has pretty much got it covered .
Personally , I'd opt for something in the 70cc range ,but that's just Me .

I would say it depends on what type of wood he'll normally be cutting. If it's smaller stuff less than 14-16" diameter I might consider a 346XP as a primary saw. If cutting western softwoods or bigger stuff over 18" then definitely a 70cc saw with a 20-24 inch bar.

8-10 cords a year?

You're gonna end up with two saws wether you like it or not.;)

The 260/261 and 460 combo or 346 372 combo is about as balanced as it gets.

If you kid yourself into thinking you'll be fine with one, you'll have three saws in the barn before long.;)

I'm waiting for the OP to respond to the 'what will be getting cut' question, because that will make all the difference.
For example:

Solely bucking 8-10 cords log-length deliveries: 361/362, 18-20" bar.
Dropping, limbing, and bucking smaller softwood: 361/362 or Husky equivalent w/18-20" bar.
Dropping, limbing, and bucking larger softwood or hardwood: two saws, 261/346 w/18" and 441/460.

I scrounge all my wood and have never needed anything more, literally, than my 361 with 18" bar since it's almost always bucking already felled logs. All hardwood here in NH: maple, oak, etc.

S

Sorry for the delay, this is one of the only forums that I am part of if you do not log out you can't log in at another location. Does anyone else have this problem?

Lets see if I can answer all the questions

Prollynotjeff is in fact a male ha ha

I plan on cutting up log truck loads of hardwood (pole size)but will be cutting some standing trees.

I do plan on going to my local dealer to see what feels good but I was looking for suggestions. I figured I would need 2 saws so i plan on picking up the first one brand new and looking for a used one for a 2nd saw.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Oh at what #'s do the "pro" saws start

Dingeryote said:
8-10 cords a year?

You're gonna end up with two saws wether you like it or not.;)

The 260/261 and 460 combo or 346 372 combo is about as balanced as it gets.

If you kid yourself into thinking you'll be fine with one, you'll have three saws in the barn before long.;)

Hey, I know you!

Nice to have you and your knowledge of saws etc. aboard here.

Just no politics LOL (just kidding of course)

Welcome Again.

If I was the OP, I'd get a 441, 460 or a 372XP.

Dingeryote said:

haha tell me about it.There's a couple more that I'd definitely love to have.Only one of them I actually need,the other would be a bonus. ;-)

Here's the other question Jeff. How much are you willing to spend? When I bought my first saw (MS290), I didn't want to spend a ton of money. It's been a good saw so far. Dropping and bucking about 5-6 cords of hardwood per year. If I was in a better financial situation, I would have gone right to the 361. After having used a saw consistently for a few years now, I want to step up to an even bigger saw. I'm keeping my eyes out for a 044/440 to rebuild.

I am pretty sure the 361 is the saw I was checking out in the shop a few months back when we first put the offer in on the house. If I recall it was around $500. I planned on spending up to7-800 but less is always better if it still get the job done. I also need to pick up some gear, pants,boots, ect. The 460 looks like a great saw but it looks pretty big for just cutting up logs, but i dont know thats why im here asking :)

Avg size log loads I would start with a used ms290 size saw. Get comfortable with it. It can do most of what you will need. Get it with an 18" bar and 2 extra chains. Whenever I get into a new venture, I realize all tools are so specific. The tool you will need/want will be idenified after a year or two of completing your task. Take your time. Rent a makita from home depot, try that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.