Steer me in the direction for a first saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thinkxingu said:
But most would agree the 361 is a great one-saw plan.

Agreed. I use a 361 exclusively. I burn wood to heat my home. I do not sell wood or cut 20 cords per year. The 361 will run an 18" bar like a light saber and it will pull a 25" bar for the bigger cuts. It is easy to operate, it is a pro version with less vibration than the non-pro's. It has a decompression button for easier starting and is just one heck of a good "all around" saw.

prollynotjeff said:
Went to the shop and he had both a 361(650) and 391(500) Whats really the differance and is it worth it?
From what I understand, pro vs homeowner is all about power to weight, better anti-vibe, and a better design to work on if something happens to go wrong. If you look at the specs between the two saws, you will see that although the 361 has less cc's, it produces more horsepower and is a pound lighter.

If you are simply bucking up delivered wood and dropping a few trees, I don't see why the 391 wouldn't serve you well. I just found out that my uncle is using one to buck up wood for his OWB. Heck, I'm dropping all my own trees with the 4-6 cords that I go through per year and I'm doing it with a 290. I've had more than a few white ash that I've had to cut from both sides because I'm only running a 16" bar.

Now, with that being said, I still think that if you have the money to spend, go with the 361. Right now I'm looking at 440's and 460's that I can rebuild and have a big saw for cheap.

TMonter said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
prollynotjeff said:
When I was doing reading it looked like the only advantage of the 361 over the 391 was that you could do some work in the feild easier if needed. He had a 460mag in stock but it seemed like a lot of saw for a guy thats ran one a handful of times. I am leaning towards the 391 unless some1 changes my mind. I plan on ending up with 2 saws( back up one) so maybe next year I go big after i get some cutting under my belt.

You should have said two saw plan...

Easy 046/460 064/660

I like my 064 hybrid.....[/quote

lol I like it tooo that's a BIG 2 PUNCH! !

Actually most of the loggers here in the PNW I've talked to who run Stihls prefer the 440/441 because of the fuel consumption.

I would agree with that... But I still prefer 460. Gas is a concern and a 441 could at the end of the day come out on top by a little.
Strong argument there and this one will be a dog fight every day!

prollynotjeff said:
Went to the shop and he had both a 361(650) and 391(500) Whats really the difference and is it worth it?
Hard to believe they still have a 361.The 361 is arguably the best fire wood saw ever maid.650 is a little high for a discontinued saw(362 takes over).Paid 570 at my dealer in 2009(and they don't come off list price) because they were getting the 362 in.They are a sweet saw.

JeffT said:
prollynotjeff said:
Went to the shop and he had both a 361(650) and 391(500) Whats really the difference and is it worth it?
Hard to believe they still have a 361.The 361 is arguably the best fire wood saw ever maid.650 is a little high for a discontinued saw(362 takes over).Paid 570 at my dealer in 2009(and they don't come off list price) because they were getting the 362 in.They are a sweet saw.

The 362 I look at Thursday price tag 699.00

smokinjay said:
JeffT said:
prollynotjeff said:

Wow I know where a new 2171 JRED is for just about that.

I'm gona take some crap for this but its my opinion. I am newer to cutting but have been helping arround a farm. The saws that we use are all husky. The owner uses a 357xp the ones i use are a 242 and a 44 older but very powerful. We have taken down 25 trees , all standing dead and the saws we are using are great no power loss going through some large trees. I dont think you need any bigger for a home owner. Now if this is your living big differance.

Jags said:
thinkxingu said:
But most would agree the 361 is a great one-saw plan.

Agreed. I use a 361 exclusively. I burn wood to heat my home. I do not sell wood or cut 20 cords per year. The 361 will run an 18" bar like a light saber and it will pull a 25" bar for the bigger cuts. It is easy to operate, it is a pro version with less vibration than the non-pro's. It has a decompression button for easier starting and is just one heck of a good "all around" saw.

,,,,,,,,,, and bless this grub. AMEN!

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
JeffT said:
prollynotjeff said:

Things that make you think hmmmmmmmmm!

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
JeffT said:
prollynotjeff said:

Things that make you think hmmmmmmmmm!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmmm hhmmmmmmmm

estang said:
I'm gona take some crap for this but its my opinion. I am newer to cutting but have been helping arround a farm. The saws that we use are all husky. The owner uses a 357xp the ones i use are a 242 and a 44 older but very powerful. We have taken down 25 trees , all standing dead and the saws we are using are great no power loss going through some large trees. I dont think you need any bigger for a home owner. Now if this is your living big differance.

242............. I want one bad!

Grab the 361. STIHL all the way. I know a lot of guys here like Husky but I'm not one of those guys. Stihl. I run an Stihl 039 with an 18" bar. My Husky rarely ever comes out of the basement. If I were in you're position right now I'd take the 361 with a 20" bar and figure on getting a big fella down the road. That Stihl is a good "medium" size saw. It's big enough to cut just about everything and for sure everything that's gonna be delivered in log length and it's still light enough and small enough to not wear you out. If you feel like you want it later pick up a 440 or 660 or whatever tickles your fancy.

Just my $0.02

ccwhite said:
Grab the 361. STIHL all the way. I know a lot of guys here like Husky but I'm not one of those guys. Stihl. I run an Stihl 039 with an 18" bar. My Husky rarely ever comes out of the basement. If I were in you're position right now I'd take the 361 with a 20" bar and figure on getting a big fella down the road. That Stihl is a good "medium" size saw. It's big enough to cut just about everything and for sure everything that's gonna be delivered in log length and it's still light enough and small enough to not wear you out. If you feel like you want it later pick up a 440 or 660 or whatever tickles your fancy.

Just my $0.02

Your Husky is also not a pro saw and doesn't have the balance, low weight or power of one of their pro saws. That alone makes a huge difference.

TMonter said:
ccwhite said:

Just my $0.02

Your Husky is also not a pro saw and doesn't have the balance, low weight or power of one of their pro saws. That alone makes a huge difference.
039 stihl is not a pro saw either. Both saw's are in the farm class.

TMonter said:
ccwhite said:

Just my $0.02

I get that its not a pro saw but the old man bought it and it was the biggest husky he could get his hands on locally. I hate that saw and I really thought I would like it because I always wished my Stihl had a 20" bar. My neighbor has a Husky too and he claims it is a pro model. I don't care for it either. I didn't get to use it a lot or anything and maybe he sharpens like a 8 year old I'm not sure. I'm not so much against all Husky saws. It's just that the couple that I've had contact with haven't been good ambassadors of the company. Whereas I've never seen a Stihl I didn't like. Seems like no matter how old or new or big or small they do their job as long as you don't expect a little saw to do the job of a big saw and vice versa. Huskys just haven't felt right to me. (Maybe I should throw a "yet" on the end of that sentence) I don't know am all I just know what I've had in my hands. Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.