Steps to a smoke free Eko gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree farmer

May 23, 2008
Central NH
Three weeks of operation and 3 upper door removals and adjustments = smoke free operation
Thanks to all those who have contributed on this site, thought I would compile this in one topic here is what I went through for smoke free operations
You will find repetitive steps and maybe something new

Remove front plate on top door and insulation - silicone door plate bolt holes to seal tight

Crank hinges in one turn

lay a bead silicon in the groove of the existing gasket

Install 1/4 inch stove gasket on top of silicone in groove - seal butt ends with a little silicone- I tried just a silicone layer first but hinge area still leaked

Let dry for a few hours so not tacky

Examine door frame weld in hinge lug area - I had smoke escaping some weld areas and a space left in this area between the metal and sealed with silicone

reinstall door and close partially tight until dry 3-4hrs

This should seal the loading door and gasket more thoroughly - you may need to crank the hinge bolts one more time after this retro but try this first

Pull Front fan panel off and remove gasket if loose reapply with silicone layer, then gasket then another layer of silicone on top of gasket - mine was leaking from top right corner where a black streak was visible and gasket was loose.

make sure your stove pipe is sealed in all joint areas with refractory - Rutland makes both high temp silicone 500 and 600 degree along with blk refractory cement in a tube.

Don't open the loading door until temps start to drop to 170's range to refill

Hopefully there will be an easier fix with a new gasket material soon. Silicone impregnated gasket rope? Hopefully my recipe will last awhile.

My wife is happy and I am happy :) :coolsmile: ;-)

My Wood Gun had silicone rubber door gskets. When I repaired them I would place waxed paper between the silicone rubber and the gasket seat and lightly close the door until it cured.

Thanks TF this was just the info I was looking for. I have done everything else but silicone the door gasket and I still have smoke smell. I guess I will be looking for high temp silicone this weekend.

smoke is back guess it was a temporary fix for me turning in the hinges. I am off th the depot tonight to but atupbe of rutland and silicon the living hell out of that gasket. problem is that I cant shut down the boiler can I silicone it and let the heat cure it? supposed to be 12 degrees tonight brrrrrr any help would be appreciated.

says room temp cure on the tube. I sealed everything except the door gasket while the boiler was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.