Steps To Make Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 Run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rftech53

Dec 2, 2018
East Central Iowa
All, I'm on my phone and haven't checked to see if this might already be in the forum. If so I apologize.

I had new CB1200 installed in late November. I've had a couple occasions where the pellets don't feed for whatever reason and I have to hit the reset button. I'm using Menards pellets which seem to have a good reputation here in Iowa.

I'm an electronics engineering technician by trade and a ham radio operator. I like to know how stuff works so I can troubleshoot.

Since it seems impossible to reach the manufacturer, is there a troubleshooting chart or flowchart that takes a person from step one to fire, then to shutdown, that would help a guy troubleshoot what all has to happen for the stove to work ... both from an electrical and vacuum perspective?

I do know about the magnetic switch on the hopper lid.

Quads are known to "misfire".I know little about them,there is a great Quad guy here,he will check in.And,welcome. KF7BBL

Johneh, I do have a manual. I was looking more for something like:

1. The thermostat calls for heat.
2. The control board checks for "this and this and this" to be closed, and if those are all met, the combustion fan starts up.
3. Then as long as the hopper door magnetic switch is closed and the vacuum line to the auger motor is not plugged, the auger gets energized and begins to turn.
4. and so forth ...

Also, I've heard tell of control board LED codes. But with the board inside a metal box how do you see the codes?

And if I could see the codes, what are they? Like do certain LED flashes point to a defective snap disc, or open heater element, etc?

You have to have the box accessible to see the lights.I consider Quads high quality(most of them) even though I am a Harman and Austroflamm fan.Seems like there are things you can do to a Quad,to make it almost perfect fire off every time.Hopefully the Quad tech here can help you.

Here you go. Someone just gave that to me this morning

Attachments

• 87899DA4-CD4C-4AD0-BA5C-A52D4F8207DE.jpeg
    87899DA4-CD4C-4AD0-BA5C-A52D4F8207DE.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 9574D99E-45B4-4F65-9E9C-A411152C9C15.jpeg
    9574D99E-45B4-4F65-9E9C-A411152C9C15.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: kappel15 and Mt Bob
The 1200's have the control box in the hopper,under a cover. Remove enough pellets to expose it to be able to check lights on it.You would also have to make a jumper wire for the hopper door switch, to leave it open. Glad you can work on it yourself, but I would make the store come out as it is under warranty. Best option is to follow the power when it quits and see where the power stops that auger is not running. #2 snap disc allows power to the auger motor. You can try jumping the wires to bypass to see if it is an issue. when pot senses 200*,green light comes on and stove will continue to feed, and a red light comes on when it reaches 600*. It could be just not enough fuel to keep temp up? What are you running at for heat? kap

Last edited:
All, I'm on my phone and haven't checked to see if this might already be in the forum. If so I apologize.

I had new CB1200 installed in late November. I've had a couple occasions where the pellets don't feed for whatever reason and I have to hit the reset button. I'm using Menards pellets which seem to have a good reputation here in Iowa.

I'm an electronics engineering technician by trade and a ham radio operator. I like to know how stuff works so I can troubleshoot.

Since it seems impossible to reach the manufacturer, is there a troubleshooting chart or flowchart that takes a person from step one to fire, then to shutdown, that would help a guy troubleshoot what all has to happen for the stove to work ... both from an electrical and vacuum perspective?

I do know about the magnetic switch on the hopper lid.

This attachment of the startup sequence involved might help!

Attachments

• The Sequence.png
    The Sequence.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 191
That last sequence page is not entirely accurate. Stove has 4 minutes 15 seconds to show proof of fire. You can hear the exhaust fan change speeds at this point. you actually have a little more time then this as I have watched it. When firepot tc senses 200* it will start feeding normally per setting it is on. kap