Stick to the plan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My plan was for cutting some ironwood this weekend, this Cherry leaner is up top with the ironwood so if you only had x amount of hours to cut what would you grab?

The small maple leaner is north of the Cherry about 50 yards. Pic 5664 is on the way down so if all goes well that will be next.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4822.JPG
    100_4822.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_4823.JPG
    100_4823.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_5622-001.JPG
    100_5622-001.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_5664.JPG
    100_5664.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Darn shame that large cherry was windthrown. Sawlog or even veneer quality there.

I'd grab the cherry,plus a couple ironwood if possible,then move on up at a later time.

When I just have a few hrs in 1 day (5-6 is normal when everything weatherwise etc is OK),I try to cut down or clean up as much in a given space as possible.That usually means dropping if needed,bucking,stacking right there temporarily.Piling any brush or twigs neatly close by if there is any.To be hauled in to processing area - splitting,final stacking etc soon as I can get back in the field.When ground is firm or dry like most of this year- to save some time & carrying I'll load up several smaller poles 3 to 7ft long in cart,pull them up to where sawbuck is for final bucking.Easier to carry a 4 ft stick than contantly be bending over picking up shorter lengths.

You are years ahead, so I'd grab the cherry before it rots. The ironwood will last longer in the woods than cherry, right?

Reactions: ScotO
My plan was for cutting some ironwood this weekend, this Cherry leaner is up top with the ironwood so if you only had x amount of hours to cut what would you grab?

The small maple leaner is north of the Cherry about 50 yards. Pic 5664 is on the way down so if all goes well that will be next.

zap

I'd make more time for cutting Zap.==c A C

Get the cherry.
Well you can get a head lantern & cut the iron wood in the dark.
Chainsaw light accessory ;)

Zap, none of that wood is going away. I would work on getting the leaners and keeping the paths clear etc.............
I have to keep telling myself to leave the standing dead and get the stuff that is down or close to it.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Zap, none of that wood is going away. I would work on getting the leaners and keeping the paths clear etc.............
I have to keep telling myself to leave the standing dead and get the stuff that is down or close to it.

That's what I started doing 2 yrs ago,lots on the ground making hard to walk or drive through with the garden tractor.Cleaned up an area first,then started dropping the snags.

I agree with the others. Get the leaners and blowdowns, standers will last longer (especially stuff like oak, locust and Ironwood). Like AC said, you need to make more time for cutting! :p

Zap, that is all good firewood. I would not be particular over which one I cut first except it would be the closest one first. Then the next, etc. None look as if they will pose a problem. Wish I were there to help you cut those up.

I was up top today so it looks like the leaning Cherry first, the ironwood is close by. I have a stacking area up top which holds just under a cord if I decide to go that route.

Next time you swing by there will be less talk and more work.

zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds right zap. Wish I'd been in better shape when we paid you a visit before. Next time will be better.

Sounds right zap. Wish I'd been in better shape when we paid you a visit before. Next time will be better.
Thanks for the warm weather, I was just getting use to the cooler weather. ::-)
zap

We hit 73 today! Fantastic. Tomorrow 63 but no cold on the way so no more fires for a while. Maybe I can get partially caught up on the outdoor work after being off for so long. Got a bunch done today.

Reactions: zap
Sounds good Sav, always chit to do. Looks like we have another cold front moving in for Thursday night, they are calling for a low of 35 so the wife will want a fire.

We will move the rest of the Cherry from last year inside tonight then it's burning Pine. The area the Cherry is coming from will be holding some two year old Sugar Maple and Beech for next year, I guess that will make it three year seasoned wood.

If I can get another 1.5 cord before any serious snow fall I'll be happy.

zap

tim

i agree with you. i like to leave the standing stuff on the stump as long as i can. if its diseased tho its best to drop, cut and split it right away or it will get punky fast, depending on the species.

OT

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Sounds good Sav, always chit to do. Looks like we have another cold front moving in for Thursday night, they are calling for a low of 35 so the wife will want a fire.

We will move the rest of the Cherry from last year inside tonight then it's burning Pine. The area the Cherry is coming from will be holding some two year old Sugar Maple and Beech for next year, I guess that will make it three year seasoned wood.

If I can get another 1.5 cord before any serious snow fall I'll be happy.

zap

We hit 66 today. Frost forecast for the next two mornings. No real cold in sight yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.