Stick with Englander or get Harman P43?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rky60

Oct 6, 2008
East Central PA
I've had this 25-pdvc for a few years now. No problems with it, throws great heat and nothing has gone wrong with it mechanically. But....

We just put a Harman PC45 in our office at work, that thing is awesome. Auto ignitor works flawlessly with it on room temp. No cleaning out the burn pot area after it shuts down on temp, just re-lights and back in business. We haven't had to clean it out or clear the burn pot area since starting it 3 or more weeks ago.

I don't need the corn feature of the PC45, plus the added expense, so I was looking at the P43. I know the burn pot and ignition is different on them but does the 43 work as nice as the 45 in terms of auto igniting on temp? or does it get gunked up with crust/fines like my Englander? I know there's a few factors here at play, pellets, stove upkeep and such.

Or should I just suck it up and clean this Englanders burn pot daily? :)

Reactions: rayttt
The pressure ignition system on the pc45 does make a blow torch lighting anything in its way combined with the open ended burn tray makes for a good burning system. But $$$. Most will do right with the p series standard pellet burning abilities from what I have read, doing away with the daily pot cleaning.

I had a 25-Pdvc for 5 years. It is a great stove for the money, I never had any trouble at all with it. My brother-in-law is still using today. But, I really wanted some of the features the Harman had, especially the on-off capability and room temp options. We've had the P43 for over a year now and really love it! Its keeping the area its in a nice even temp all of the time. Its not burning as much this time of year as it will when it gets colder out. I do a quick scrape of the burn plate every few days just because I feel guilty if I dont ==c Even in the cold part of the winter I clean it about once a week and its just fine with that. Empty the ash pan about every six weeks and clean it real good including the fines box and ESP probe. Sure, it was more money but we're thinking about getting rid of the retired woodstove insert and the King 5510 for a Harman P35i insert. I don't think you could go wrong if you decided to go with the P43.

Steve

Bioburner, "blow torch" it is, that ignition system on that 45 is unreal, wish they all were like that!

SteveB, that's exactly where my 25 would go also, sister/brother-in-law. They were just talking about getting one (on the inexpensive side but reliable) and I told them they couldn't go wrong if they did get the 25. Their oil burner just died and they've been using electric heaters. That isn't good, so little do they know they'll be getting a call for a pickup of this free 25

If the 43 can even come close to 45 in terms of on/off on room temp, it'll be mine tomorrow. I don't mind the cleaning out of the 25 everyday, it's the knowing that the 43 won't be wasting heat/pellets if not needed

Thanks for the input, still researching but I pretty much know what i'll be doing tomorrow :)

When we bought the house last year, it came with an Englander, our first-ever pellet stove. The thing was louder than heck, then died on us in mid-October. Thankfully. We really didn't have that much time to fall in love with it like you would when a smelly stray cat shows up at your front door, but I can certainly say we weren't excited to listen to that thing buzz away through the heart of the winter. We had just ordered our wood insert and with the install a couple days away, our local dealer treated us very well when we asked to tack on the P43. With that said, we've been incredibly happy with the unit from day 1. More expensive, yes, but less hassle, much quieter, more features, eats anything, glass is always clean and more attractive. Only issue to date is we burned cheapo pellets the first year and occasionally the auger would get some burn residue on it and make a squealing sound as it spun. Scraping around the burn pot an auger takes care of it. Good luck.

Just to throw a wrench in the plans...what about a nicer Englander? My 10-cpm has the multifuel capability, a good ignitor, and on/off capability paired with a thermostat. I clean it every week or two during the cold months, and whenever I think about it during the shoulder season. No scraping the burnpot at all. Only open the door to clean it. Just a thought.

I assume the P series will throw a lot of heat, and be quieter, and more efficient. It's also a lot more cash.

Good luck.

Never owned anything but P series Harman's. Absolutely love em. Just sold one of my 38's and replaced it with a 68. The 68 is a monster, but the 38 also really cranked out the heat.

You'll love that 43. Check the inside of the hopper for roughness/paint overspray. Give the slants 3 min with some 0000 steel wool and the pellets will slide like butta.

Just to throw a wrench in the plans...what about a nicer Englander? My 10-cpm has the multifuel capability, a good ignitor, and on/off capability paired with a thermostat. I clean it every week or two during the cold months, and whenever I think about it during the shoulder season. No scraping the burnpot at all. Only open the door to clean it. Just a thought.

I assume the P series will throw a lot of heat, and be quieter, and more efficient. It's also a lot more cash.

Good luck.

The P-Series is noisy too with the clinking of the pellets falling into the auger chute as the slide plate opens and closes during the auger motor rotation. However the top and sides of the Harman get's hot like a wood stove and radiates alot of heat as well as blowing the heat like a wood stove. No other pellet stove I know of can do that!
A Harman does not have to be expensive, I picked up one of my P61s for $1200 broken. So I threw in an ignition upgrade kit for $400 and changed the gold door to the black for $200.and a nickel trim kit for $200. Sure it was Golden Fire brown in color but I got some Stove Bright Satin Black for $12 and now with the Grist Mill tile that it came with looks modern with all the features for only $2000 but then for $85 I bolted on the hopper extension for 130 lbs of pellets! Looks like the new ones for $3299 but I only paid $2085 !!

Reactions: stayfitz
My boss got the PC45 for $1900 used (all but new really), hopper extension and other supplies included. I'm lookin' at $2860 out the door.

And it's in the truck waiting on the Englander to go out!

Last edited:
Reactions: P38X2
Don't forget the pix

My boss got the PC45 for $1900 used (all but new really), hopper extension and other supplies included. I'm lookin' at $2860 out the door.

And it's in the truck waiting on the Englander to go out!
I wouldn't be waiting. Some ugly cold weather coming down for next week. Nice to have everything hooked up and checked out before the cold winds comma blowin. Single digits predicted here for early next week.

Pics! :)

PB090048 (800x600).jpg PB090049 (800x600).jpg

Reactions: rayttt
That was quick. Purdy! I like it. Now go dirty up that fire brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.