Sticker Shock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfolker4

Dec 30, 2011
northern Michigan
I went in to the local Lowes to pick up a few bags of pellets today, WOW the same ones that were
3.85 a bag two weeks ago were now 5.97. Is this kind of highway robbery normal in the spring, or will these prices stay high into the fall.

With fuel prices general up cost of all other commodities will increase. So yes prices will stay up .

This is something Lowes/HD/TSC seems to do every spring. They try to make something on them just before they move them out of stock. Plus the boxstore pellet is over until next fall. Box stores don't carry pellets once the weather warms enough to move on to summer items. Happens every season.

Will we see a boxstore pellet wars next fall? Its likely they will have a war, Thats what the box stores do. But the price might be higher than we saw last winter. My crystal ball is in the shop, So I can perdict what the prices may be. >>

Pellet deals going on now are at the pellet houses, They sell them all year long. Its likely you'll see a deal on left-overs and some spring specials. But don't expect to see much of a deal on the topshelf stuff if any at all. We are still in a bit of a fiber crunch and the fuel prices aren't helping matters. The deals I am seeing are from the log to chip mills. No fiber shortage with their brands. We may even see some mills add the log to chip to their process!

Lowes around here still at $219/ton.

I am just playing the waiting game a bit to see if they drop the price just a bit more so I then jump on a ton, maybe 2.

Lowes around here still at $219/ton.

I am just playing the waiting game a bit to see if they drop the price just a bit more so I then jump on a ton, maybe 2.

I'd be willing to bet they start going up real soon. Last season by April 15th they(torrington Lowes) went to $298 on what they had left in stock.

I hear ya, i've been "watching" the inventory at this Lowes and it doesn't seem to be coming down, so I've been just waiting to see but I remember also last year as you said......

I may take the plunge soon....:p

My local shop's "spring special" is $250 (NEWP), the same price they've been for close to a year, maybe longer. Could just be a sucker sale or it could be writing on the wall for next season.

My local shop's "spring special" is $250 (NEWP), the same price they've been for close to a year, maybe longer. Could just be a sucker sale or it could be writing on the wall for next season.

NEWP could be one of the mills strugglin for fiber. PowerHouse/GAP(same mill) is one to check out. Geneva and Maine Choice(same mill) may also be having a decent spring deal. MWP is another to keep an eye out for. I wouldn't expect much from Barefoots, Hamers and the other top dogs. If there is a price break it will be just a teeny one. Same goes for the BC softies.

With fuel and fiber, You can bet the fall prices will be insane! Add some dealer greed into it? Ouch comes to mind! :mad:

Reactions: geek
Our local guy said the only spring deal will be the price staying the same for another month, then they are jacking up the price per ton.

not sure how much of an increase.

wish we had the money to buy several tons, but 1 ton a month it is for us until we build up our winter stock.

I hear ya, i've been "watching" the inventory at this Lowes and it doesn't seem to be coming down, so I've been just waiting to see but I remember also last year as you said......

I may take the plunge soon....:p
I got mine from Lowes ( Waterford CT.) in August last year for $197 a ton, the pellet trailers and customers kept rolling in.

SIB in Jay, ME doesn't deliver to my area :( , so best I have found is MWP blend at 235/ton and 249 for Softies. I'm looking at ending the season with ~2 ton Spruce Pointes left. Probably going to stack 2-4 ton blend and 2 ton softies on top of that. There goes the tax check

You never know what the box stores are going to do. This year they had different prices per bag/ton..so for me it made it so I would not buy from them (with the exception of a few bags). I have seen them as low as $197 last year and $224 this year...and for a high of $297. S,o I bought my whole stashfor next year from a local dealer to take all the guess work out of it.....if they are around $200 come fall I will buy them and use them and sit on what I have.

The prices at the Lowe's up here in Maine have been that high all year.

I have 2 ton ordered from my dealer they are from this company just up the road from the dealer, at 175/ton and they will go up 5.00 a ton until fall per month, but it seems like they offer this deal to their customers and they told me when I bought the stove that I will always be able to get pellets from them even in times of shortage. Price at the mill is $235.00/ton from what I have been told.

http://www.ccsmithlumber.com/Products/WoodPellets

Reactions: Defiant
I have 2 ton ordered from my dealer they are from this company just up the road from the dealer, at 175/ton and they will go up 5.00 a ton until fall per month, but it seems like they offer this deal to their customers and they told me when I bought the stove that I will always be able to get pellets from them even in times of shortage. Price at the mill is $235.00/ton from what I have been told.

http://www.ccsmithlumber.com/Products/WoodPellets
Looks like a good deal, any stats on the pellets or a photo of the bag?

I don't have any stats on the pellets but below is a picture of the bag it is blank on the back, and the Bag on the right I found up the road last weekend, guy selling 75 bags for $200.00 thought that seemed fair.
IMG_0543.JPG

I don't have any stats on the pellets but below is a picture of the bag it is blank on the back, and the Bag on the right I found up the road last weekend, guy selling 75 bags for $200.00 thought that seemed fair.
View attachment 64889
Nice, I find with my Harmans that most pellets perform well.

Lowes around here is expensive ..

Check out Pelletsdirect in Uxbridge MA. Cash-&-carry deal at $199 per ton, hardwood deal at $209/ton and some other "power packages" that should keep most happy with pricing in the low to mid $200's per ton. All this "henny-penny, the sky is falling" crap about the pellet prices going through the roof now and into next season is just that. Crap. Some suppliers are trying to make noise and generate sales from the folks who actually take the bait. Go for it I say, leave the cheap pellets for the rest of us. RT

Here in Pittsfield Ma TSC has just received 80 tons of pellets priced at $239

I went to Cortland & bighamton lowes, neither are coming down $247 Ton on what ever they have brand. young manager said not going to play price game this year, last august I payed $355 for 2 ton with help from board members. I asked are they going to drop I'll wait till August again he said no? I have 18mos no intrest promo until 4/16 plus 10% off card. Should I buy now ? or are the bluffing?

Status
Not open for further replies.