Stickers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever heard of "stickers?"

I went to my local big box yesterday hoping to get some pallets. Last week I got them to give me some pallets, which have worked out nicely to get my fires up to a good temp (to help my partially seasoned wood).

This week, when I asked, they told me that I could have some stickers.

After a few replies, if no one gets it, I'll tell you what they are.

-Speak

Stickers are pieces of wood placed between items or around items to protect them from banding.

used them when i had the stihl 076 with a 36" bar and did milling back 20 yrs ago. used when stacking the ruff cut lumber placed between each piece to allow air circulation.

f3cbboy said:
used them when i had the stihl 076 with a 36" bar and did milling back 20 yrs ago. used when stacking the ruff cut lumber placed between each piece to allow air circulation.

Thats what i call 'em. Have a few hundred kicking around. used to use 'em as stakes for sled trails.

They also make it possible to get under [product x] with a forklift. I always thought they were there more for that than protection. I worked at Home Depot for a couple years in the lumber dept when I lived in FL.

I have a few stickers that have a groove routed in them for where the metal banding goes.

I was taught that stickers are what you use when stacking wet lumber, and sleepers are what you use to keep stuff off the ground (because of moisture, for a forklift, whatever). However, if they gave me sleepers but called them stickers, I wouldn't quibble!

One more variant: stickers are what you put between lumber, wet or otherwise, to give it air flow. Sleepers are what you put down to raise a floor off a slab or other surface. Cribbage is what you put down to let the fork lift get under the stack. It's all wood and all burns!

SpeakEasy said:
I went to my local big box
In the context of "big box" and not lumber yard, I took stickers to mean other than what is used for drying lumber.

As for keeping stuff off the ground, around here they call them skids. Only when skids are cribbed do they call it cribbing. Cribbage is a card game.

LLigetfa said:
I have a few stickers that have a groove routed in them for where the metal banding goes.

I have one of the boys out in our warehouse yard collect and stack a skid full of these things. After a year of sun and wind, they will light with a match. I do spit some a time or two, and it makes great kindling.

Yeah,

well the guy at the big box took me around back and showed me a pile of all sorts of "in-between-the-product" sort of stuff. Most of it was 2 x 4's about 3 and a half feet long. Some of it was that grooved stuff. Then some of it was particle board formed into 3 and a half feet long boards. He suggested that I take these home and burn them too. (No thanks!) He also offered me some PT stuff for burning (No thanks!)

I did take home a pile of the 2 x 4's and cut them up for kindling. Certainly not as good a score as the pallets of the week before.

-Speak

i have always called it 'dunnage'.. 4X4 oak, from large pipe or other special jobsite deliveries. sometimes they are treated, and i shy away from them.
thanks.

Adios Pantalones said:
We call them stickers- placed between planks for drying etc. I'll take as much as they'll give me- it would be IDEAL kiln wood. I'll take 12 cord for this year :)

Man - I'll bet. A small arm load of 32-36" long dunnage could really give a temp boost in a heart beat.

in a lumber context, I'd consider stickers the thin boards put between green planks for air drying, too.
spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.