Stihl 020T for$100.00!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Just picked her up on the ol' interweb ......in running condition, Guy said it runs good but is loud (muffler needs repaired, no biggie there), also needs a clutch side cover.

Not too bad for a 40mm top-handled Stihl! I've been watching for one of these older generation 020T-200T saws, couldn't pass this deal up!

_KGrHqJHJFcFHn7rjtj3BSCYyyou5w_60_3.jpeg _T2eC16dHJIIFHJ_Wug_BSCYysKf2w_60_3.jpeg

Just picked her up on the ol' interweb ......in running condition, Guy said it runs good but is loud (muffler needs repaired, no biggie there), also needs a clutch side cover.

Not too bad for a 40mm top-handled Stihl! I've been watching for one of these older generation 020T-200T saws, couldn't pass this deal up!

View attachment 111190 View attachment 111191

Way to go Scotty, you've needed a top handle for awhile. Put a 16" .05 Picco on that baby, it has the power to handle it easy.

Way to go Scotty, you've needed a top handle for awhile. Put a 16" .05 Picco on that baby, it has the power to handle it easy.
I have two 015's (the ORIGINAL top-handled Stihls), and they are great saws, but are heavy when up in the tree all day. I got boned on the MS192 I tried to get this past winter, so I finally found a saw to work with. I'm looking forward total getting it in the mail and going to work on it. And yes, I WILL be porting the muffler right off the bat!!

I've got.several small-mount bars (12", 14", and 16"), and just picked up (13) 14" Picco chains at a dirt cheap price! I'll be good to go for a while!

In an amazing coincidence, I picked up a 200T last night (see my post of a few minutes ago). I got a good price, but not that good.

I have two 015's (the ORIGINAL top-handled Stihls), and they are great saws, but are heavy when up in the tree all day. I got boned on the MS192 I tried to get this past winter, so I finally found a saw to work with. I'm looking forward total getting it in the mail and going to work on it. And yes, I WILL be porting the muffler right off the bat!!

I've got.several small-mount bars (12", 14", and 16"), and just picked up (13) 14" Picco chains at a dirt cheap price! I'll be good to go for a while!

Yeah, I figured you would take care of that "loud" muffler for sure ;lol. Looks like you are set for bars and chains, I'm assuming that's all .043 stuff? I needed a new bar/chains for my 191T - 46.5cc (not to be confused with its more popular wimpy brother 192T - 30cc) so I upgraded to .05 picco and love it. Bought a 16" GB bar and some Stihl PM chains ::-). Definitly a nice setup for the more powerful 191 and 200 saws. The 192 needs to stick with .043 stuff :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScotO
Scotty you did good.

Yeah, I figured you would take care of that "loud" muffler for sure ;lol. Looks like you are set for bars and chains, I'm assuming that's all .043 stuff? I needed a new bar/chains for my 191T - 46.5cc (not to be confused with its more popular wimpy brother 192T - 30cc) so I upgraded to .05 picco and love it. Bought a 16" GB bar and some Stihl PM chains ::-). Definitly a nice setup for the more powerful 191 and 200 saws. The 192 needs to stick with .043 stuff :(.
No, the bars and chains are all .050. I converted my 015's a long time ago to 3/8" sprockets (originally they get were all 1/4"). I'm good to go.

Reactions: clemsonfor
You will appreciate that when up in the trees.

Heck of a deal there Scotty... :)

I'd buy one every day at that price. Nice :cool:

Heck of a deal there Scotty... :)

I'd buy one every day at that price. Nice :cool:
I've been watching for a reasonable deal for months now. I've been itching to get one. Don't get me wrong, my 015 does a great job, but that thing is heavy when you're up in a tree all day and trying to reach around the trunk to cut limbs and such. This 020T will be a welcome addition to my collection!

You know me, brother......it's getting a ported muffler as soon as I get it out of the box!

Reactions: DexterDay
Thats a great deal , you could easily turn that into $300;)

Do I spy a trigger lock? I haven't seen one of those since I sold my 1973 Homelite.

if you are referring to the orange flip tab, that's the on/off button if I'm not mistaken.
Ah... not used to seeing those on Stihl. Sure it's not an Echo? :p

Are your 015's the rear or top handle version? I would not be without at least one top-handle saw, in your business. I probably use my top handle saw more hours than the other two combined.

Ah... not used to seeing those on Stihl. Sure it's not an Echo? :p

Are your 015's the rear or top handle version? I would not be without at least one top-handle saw, in your business. I probably use my top handle saw more hours than the other two combined.

Joful, my 015's are all top-handled saws. I actually have around 5 of them, only two are currently together and running. The others need crank seals and believe it or not, those particular sized seals are near impossible to find......

There is NO WAY I'd want to be in a tree without a good top-handled saw.........and I, like you, use that thing for multiple tasks on the ground as well. My 015's are impressive saws, even after having dropped them from the tree several times over the years. My "newest" 015 is from the mid-70's! That said, there was NO WAY I was going to pay $300.00-$700.00 for a MS200T- 201T either! So I have been suffering through with my "dinosaur" 015's til I found this 020T. It will definatley be a welcome addition to my arsenal!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
I don't know how the 020T compares to the 200T, but not having anything that really needed to be cut, I just revved up my new 200 and 'tested' it for the first time by shortening a fat split of mulberry. It's difficult to say how impressed I am without resorting to vulgarity. That's a heck of a machine.

I don't know how the 020T compares to the 200T, but not having anything that really needed to be cut, I just revved up my new 200 and 'tested' it for the first time by shortening a fat split of mulberry. It's difficult to say how impressed I am without resorting to vulgarity. That's a heck of a machine.
the 020T and the MS200T are pretty much the same saw. And yes, they are very impressive for their size and weight!

If I give up on my 015 tell me how to see if it has good crank seals and we can work something out

View attachment 111190 View attachment 111191

You hush up boy! Don't go starting a buying trend on these hidden gems... er, I mean gutless crap saws.

Note also that there is also the older-older generation 020 AV which is all metal, heavy, and hard to get parts for (I sold mine a while ago).

The 200T was the best of the lot, and still command a premium. The 201T is not so well liked (but can be modified). 192 was under powered in comparison. There are considerable differences between the 020T and 200T.

One handing TH saws has its risks... be safe.

200T is the most desirable of the bunch. You like it trimming splits? Ha! Put a 16" bar on it and bury it in a big branch. The saw is legendary because it doesn't know it's only 40cc, it was unmatched for power in the cut. Believe it or not, there were/are better "pruning" saws that were lighter than the 200T but nothing's takes big tree tops apart like a 200.

200T is the most desirable of the bunch. You like it trimming splits? Ha! Put a 16" bar on it and bury it in a big branch. The saw is legendary because it doesn't know it's only 40cc, it was unmatched for power in the cut. Believe it or not, there were/are better "pruning" saws that were lighter than the 200T but nothing's takes big tree tops apart like a 200.
I understand that the 200T is the most desired one of the bunch, but I ain't spending the kind of money those things bring....at least not at this point. I'll see how this 020T performs, then go from there. One thing is for sure, it's lighter than my 015!

Compared to the earlier models of Stihl TH saws, the 020T was the best. I mean it sucks. Yah, the 020T is a sucky Stihl saw.

The 200T is the one that climbers like the best though. I still get requests from Oz and NZ and the EU for 200T saws, and I have to reply that they are long gone from inventory around here. They do not want the 201T.

Last edited by a moderator:
200T is the most desirable of the bunch. You like it trimming splits? Ha! Put a 16" bar on it and bury it in a big branch.

Branch? Mine came with a 16" bar. I was just driving home and noticing how many whole trees it could take down.

Status
Not open for further replies.