stihl 021 trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

konascash

Oct 2, 2008
central oregon
hey there, first timer on forums so bear with me, I got a little stihl 021 at a yard sale a while back for like $25, 16 in bar, good chain, case and all, good freakin deal I thought. the guy didn't know if it ran so I just put a new spark plug in it and it fired up. I ran the saw a little while and it started getting weird on me, It will idle fine but acts like it starves for gas when you pull the throttle, hold the throttle and it'll die, if you pump the gas I can get it to rev up. I've messed with the carb settings, set them to factory, of course its got new gas and clean filter, fuel filter looks good, WHAT NEXT? compression low? maybe I just need to pull the carb apart and clean? What do you think?

Is you airfilter getting wet, it might be that it is getting flooded, I have the same symptoms with my 028. Idles fine but can't usually get it to peak RPM, when do it bogs right down. I have done everything I can think of, rebuilt carb, new plug, coil. Two things left, remove muffler and try it. The compression seems good but need to verify with a gauge.

remove the muffler and inspect the screen inside for blockage. Carbon will build up on this causing low performance. The other thing would be to inspect you fuel lines. Look for bubbles about the area where it goes into the tank or cracks. Could be sucking air.

yep, the fuel line was bad so I replaced it, I thought that fixed it until I put the bar and chain on then it just acts the same exact way it did before the new fuel line! Im thinking maybe compression low, cause with the chain on its worse than with it off so it just won't handle any load

did you replace the fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.