Stihl 021 vs. 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2Orion

Apr 2, 2009
St. Louis Mo
I have an 021 that runs and does alright. But I want more power and the ability to run a longer bar. I found a 310 on craigslist for $250. I haven't gone to look at it yet and wont if it is comparable to my 021. Would a 310 be the "bigger" saw I'm looking for?
On a side note, I am still kicking myself. I was in the tool rental place last year to rent a floor sander and they had an 036 with a new bar/chain and a case out of their rental fleet for $300. They were upgrading a lot of their tools and this was 1 of them. I didn't pull the trigger and when I went back a week later it was gone.

i own a 310 . the biggest saw i have i like it . have used it for 4 years and i burn close to 10 cords a year . i did open the muffler up . i would buy another one in a heart beat . hoot

There will be a big difference, especially if you use a full chisel chain on the the 310.

Yes, you would see a big difference in performance between a 60cc saw and 35cc chainsaw. You could comfortably run a 20" bar on that saw. If the sample in question is in good condition, $250 is a fair price.

K2Orion said:
I have an 021 that runs and does alright. But I want more power and the ability to run a longer bar. I found a 310 on craigslist for $250. I haven't gone to look at it yet and wont if it is comparable to my 021. Would a 310 be the "bigger" saw I'm looking for?
On a side note, I am still kicking myself. I was in the tool rental place last year to rent a floor sander and they had an 036 with a new bar/chain and a case out of their rental fleet for $300. They were upgrading a lot of their tools and this was 1 of them. I didn't pull the trigger and when I went back a week later it was gone.

A 310 is a much bigger saw than the 021.

It's funny because my 310 is the perfect mid range saw. I'm looking for either a 440 or 660 for my big saw which I'll find one day for a good price on craigslist. Right now I've got a 16" bar and a 20" bar for the 310, but am also looking for a smaller 021 or whatever the tree climbing one is (cant remember). I like the 310, but for really green oak that's 40-50" diameter it's really undersized. I paid under $200 here at a pawn shop and it's made me a Stihl man. The 310 is enough of a saw to make you want even more and a nice big 35-40" bar. I've seen some nice bigger saws but they always have a 20" bar on them and if I'm spending the money I don't want to have to drop another 200 on the bar and chain afterward.

my parents have a 021 and I use a 390(a lil larger than the 310) at work

you'll be very happy with the 310

Status
Not open for further replies.