stihl 025 difficulty: mystery solved...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
Greetings All:

Low torque problems with my 025 are now diagnosed. I cleaned the muffler/screen, and that helped some, but the mystery was solved when I went and cut wood yesterday with my brother, who has a much newer 250. We traded saws for comparison. Just pulling his through to start it revealed much, much better compression. I mean, it was OBVIOUS. Well, my beloved old saw will make it throught the autumn ok, but it's definitely time for a piston & ring kit.

Regards,

Dexter

A piston and cylinder kit will bring it back to life. Replace the small end bearing as well. Tecomec makes a pretty good cylinder kit for reasonable prices. Thanks for posting the info. Did you do a compression check? KD

P/C's are cheap and easy to do yourself if you have some basic mechanical skills. Just make sure everything is clean, and use a little two cycle oil to lube the bearings, seals and rings when assembling. BTW, while you are at it you should consider new bearings and seals for the crankshaft. Cheap to buy and you will already have the saw torn down, that would make the entire bottom end brand new. Food for thought......

Status
Not open for further replies.