Stihl 025 problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

countrygirl

Aug 6, 2007
We have a Stihl 025 that is about 4 years old. Not many hours. First, we had problems with the starter pull cord hitting the flywheel and breaking.

Now, problem we're having is after a few tries, it starts, but won't stay running. Our old Poulan did the same thing (after many hard hours).

Just seems we should not have these kind of problems with this expensive a chain saw...... I'm beginning to think that more expensive does not equal better quality.

:) Welcome..........

Old gas ?

Dirty filter ?

Crud in gas tank ?

Plug fouling ?

Carb adjustment ?

Get someone to check all these things first, then if that does not correct it, take it to a dealer or a saw man and they can have it running in no time.

Stihl saw is the best around IMO

Robbie

I have a Stihl 025, and I have had zero problems.

Before you take the saw to a dealer, I would:

Install a new spark plug
Empty out the gas and refill with fresh 91 octane fuel with Stihl brand oil.
Inspect the air filter

Did you add StaBil (a fuel stabilizer) to the gas the last time you used/filled it?

Hi:

I'm sorry this is so long, but it might help...

I've had an 025 since it was a new model. I think it's been 10 or 12 years. I cut about 8 chords per year. I love this saw.

The 025 (now marketed as the 250 -- very similar)has a diaphragm controlled fuel to air mixture adjustment. As the barometric pressure drops -- or if you make an increase of altitude -- the sealed diaphragm expands and (theoretically) adjusts the mixture on the carburetor. With a big altitude change, you do need to manually re-adjust the idle-mixture, but there is no carburetor adjustment for high rpm operation. The manual suggests setting idle mixture by fully screwing in the adjust screw -- very gently, as you don't want to crush the needle -- and then backing the screw out 1 turn (counter-clockwise.) I seem to need to screw it clockwise about 1/8 turn from that point to get smooth revving, but I do most of my cutting on warm days at about 8400 feet of altitude. The idle speed adjust is then set after adjusting idle mixture. Both these screws are on the right side of the air-cleaner/carburetor cover. You will need a very narrow straight blade screwdriver.

I occasionally have had very difficult hot re-starts of the saw when it's been used blocking big, big firewood. I think the exhaust heat does not dissipate well when the power head, with its forward-facing exhaust, is against the wood. When doing heavy-duty cutting with the saw, I re-fuel & oil when it's down only 1/2 a tank, and re-start quickly. If it does overheat (no "pop" when pulling), I set the thumb switch to on, but NOT to the idle-boost position (NO CHOKE). I pull slowly, literally about 25 times (switch on), but so slowly that it probably won't start anyway. Then I pull vigorously until "it pulls back" or "pops" (NO CHOKE FOR ANY OF THIS). Then, switch to idle-boost (still no choke) and I give it a yank. It's always started.

Please change your spark plug each season, even if you only put 10 or 15 hours on the saw. It will make a astounding difference, and it's probably going to cost less than $5.00.

Best Regards, and Happy Cutting,

Dexter Black

Status
Not open for further replies.