Stihl 026 Needs New Impulse Line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quads,

Sounds like something odd is happening. You see, the oil pump only pumps oil when the chain is spinning. That little drive wire that powers the pump is driven by the clutch housing so it has to be spinning for the pump to be turned. See what I mean. I suppose it will dribble a bit after the chain stops but for the most part the thing's gotta turn to spit any out.

I was kind of thinking that maybe they just used one case for both model saws. That said, if for some reason you do end up having to replace your pump I would think that you should be able to stick an adjustable one in there.

I'm always amazed by you guys who can tune carburetors. I stand there gaping like a great ape anytime someone goes into one or takes a screwdriver to one. It is like Merlin is doing magic as far as I'm concerned. I can usually find broken parts and figure out how to replace them, but when it comes to tuning my skills stop at gapping the plug.

Ha! Dad owned a snowmobile dealership in the mid 60s to mid 70s, so I learned to tune carbs on them.

It was definitely pushing oil out without the chain turning. I read somewhere, can't remember where now because I Googled it, that the oiler on the older 026 saws like mine don't run off the clutch but run off the crankshaft. That way they oil even when the chain isn't turning. I don't know though, just something I read and would explain why the oil is coming out at idle.

I looked closely again, but no adjustment screw. It's got the hole, both of them do, but neither one has an adjuster. No big deal, seems to work ok, even a little too good, so I guess I won't worry about it unless it has a problem in the future.
IMG_5272.jpg

Older saw on the right, with the aluminum nameplate riveted on, and the red kill switch. Newer saw on the left just has a sticker for the nameplate. Old saw handle has been expertly (? ha ha) repaired twice. Guy that owned it before me dropped a tree on it and built the aluminum piece on the right side to repair the handle. After I bought it, I dropped a tree on it and broke the left side. I just put a piece of pipe in it and riveted it in place. Was told new handle was $50 and that's all I paid for the saws!
IMG_5267.jpg

You may very well be right, I was giving sort of generic Stihl oil pump information.

What I wanted to say, after looking at your picture of the twins, was how much I envy you those screw-on air filter covers. My 026 has the old flip-lever cover that pops off at the touch of a twig. The pop-off air cover is a great accompaniment to the fall-apart now-and-then for no good reason handle/throttle linkage that give my saw its unique personality. :~)

dante2 said:
The left one looks just like mine. Great saw.
I like them both, and I've used the left one (newer one) almost daily for the last three years. But, it just seems to run a tad too rich all the time and without the high speed mixture adjustment, I can't lean it down enough to get the power out of it. In the summer I never have to worry about mosquitoes because it fogs them. I've pulled the screen out of the muffler (helped a little), put on my oldest nastiest air filter that all the fuzz is worn off from so that it's just a screen (helped a little more).

The older one, on the right, runs and sounds much better. I can pretty much lay right on it when cutting. It revs right out. The other one I have to kind of hold back all the time to keep it cutting and not bogging.

Kong said:
You may very well be right, I was giving sort of generic Stihl oil pump information.

What I wanted to say, after looking at your picture of the twins, was how much I envy you those screw-on air filter covers. My 026 has the old flip-lever cover that pops off at the touch of a twig. The pop-off air cover is a great accompaniment to the fall-apart now-and-then for no good reason handle/throttle linkage that give my saw its unique personality. :~)
I heard that the oil and gas caps get loose and fall out on some of them too, but mine are just the opposite. They get tighter while running and many times I have to put a screwdriver to them to get them open.

I've also got an old, heavy, big Sachs Dolmar that was bought new in 1985. It hasn't been run since the mid 90s maybe. If I even remember right, I think it needs a carb kit and new rubber mounts. Someday I might tackle that one and see if I can get it going again. Now that there had some power! But, it's so big and heavy.

I've also got an old, heavy, big Sachs Dolmar that was bought new in 1985. It hasn't been run since the mid 90s maybe. If I even remember right, I think it needs a carb kit and new rubber mounts. Someday I might tackle that one and see if I can get it going again. Now that there had some power! But, it's so big and heavy.[/quote]
Just think quad's it might be just another three dollar part. Isn't it funny how something stops running and we put it up then it was something thats was easy to fix.

quads said:
I've also got an old, heavy, big Sachs Dolmar that was bought new in 1985. It hasn't been run since the mid 90s maybe. If I even remember right, I think it needs a carb kit and new rubber mounts. Someday I might tackle that one and see if I can get it going again. Now that there had some power! But, it's so big and heavy.
ohio woodburner said:
Just think quad's it might be just another three dollar part. Isn't it funny how something stops running and we put it up then it was something thats was easy to fix.
You could be right! I might look at it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.