Stihl 026 repair and on permanent loan to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlove1974

Dec 8, 2010
Piedmont of NC
So I am cutting wood w/ a friend the other day, and he says "take a look at my saw for me" after we get done w/ the work. He has a Husky 455 rancher (which I hate..) for his main saw.
And he has an older lightweight Echo for a backup. So I know this is his way of saying "fix my saw and you can borrow it for a while..."

So he drags out a good-looking but dirty Stihl 026. I know this is one of the 'good ones' so I say sure, with a grin ;) Standard 18" bar, case not cracked, air filter filthy.

When I get it home, I take it out of the truck and low and behold, the fuel filter/pickup is broken away from the fuel line inside the tank. Not good.
He told me it would take a full tank of fuel for it to even run, and then it hasn't ran for a few years.

First thing's first, the chain drive clutch was rusted, so I pulled it all apart, PB blaster, WD 40, and brake cleaner = like new. Left the chain and bar off while I work on the powerhead.

I filled it up with fuel, cleaned the plug and put it all back together without the air filter. Pull x 12 = no start. Plug has fire. No fuel atomization....

SO i poured about a teaspoon of premix in it, pull x 1 on full choke = fired up for 2 secs. Do it again, same thing. Doit it 3 more times and it stays running
with wide open throttle!

I know now that the saw is in working condition. Put the bar on it, tighten the chain and proceed to go and test it out on some logs. At 10:30pm. My neighbors probably hate me.

SO do any of you all have experience or knowledge of the 026? Seems to be a pretty lightweight powerhouse so far! Easy to adjust, but I gotta get that fuel pickup fixed asap.

Nice pro saw! Pic's Please?

1) Stihl dealer is a good place for the fuel line.

2) You may want to replace the impulse line at the same time, of course this is probably a bit more work.

3) You might need to clean out the carb to get it running good.

I really like the 026; I've worked on a few and I have got one...

Ya I am still looking to upgrade to a near 5HP saw, but this one compares nicely to the Makita (dolmar) DCS-510 all around. And I can't find one of those at Home Cheapo in good condition from the rental dept. So 026 it is for a while...

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
jlove1974 said:
Ya I am still looking to upgrade to a near 5HP saw

??? Your 77cc Homelite should be near 5 hp... ?

lol I should have specified near 5hp AND below 15lbs! :) lol

I don't want to lose any power or torque, gain RPM/cutting speed, and lose weight.

And the only way for me to do that is named Dolmar/Makita or Stihl ;)

no thanks, I have no respect or desire to support the vacuum cleaner manufacture/big box whore. This is a STIHL thread.
Also, if I want to spend $800 I'd buy two Makita 6401s and two big bore kits from Baileys

LOL ...... Husqvarna makes sewing machines, Stihl makes the vacuum cleaners. Husqvarna sells their homeowner lines in box stores and their pro grade saws through dealers. I'd also point out that many box store zit faced clerks have just as much of an understanding of the products they sell as Stihl dealers. I have 6 Stihl dealers in my area, and 4 of them I wouldn't trust to change the oil in my car. To each their own....... sorry to intrude on your Stihl thread.

You are wrong. Just like every husk-queer-varnish diehard I have ever dealt with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolux
"The Electrolux Group (OMX: ELUX B, NASDAQ: ELUXY) is a Swedish[2] appliance maker.[3][4]

As of 2010 the 2nd largest home appliance manufacturer in the world,[5] its products sell under a variety of brand names, including its own, and are primarily white goods and vacuum cleaners.[6] The company also makes appliances for professional use.[4]"

In the 1960s, the company successfully marketed vacuums in the United Kingdom with the slogan, "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux."
Husqvarna AB (OMX: HUSQ B) is a Swedish manufacturer, the world's second largest producer of chainsaws. Its also one of the largest producers of lawn and garden equipment, and cutting equipment for the stone and construction industries. The company was spun off by Electrolux in 2006.[1]

jlove1974 said:
You are wrong. Just like every husk-queer-varnish diehard I have ever dealt with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolux
"The Electrolux Group (OMX: ELUX B, NASDAQ: ELUXY) is a Swedish[2] appliance maker.[3][4]

As of 2010 the 2nd largest home appliance manufacturer in the world,[5] its products sell under a variety of brand names, including its own, and are primarily white goods and vacuum cleaners.[6] The company also makes appliances for professional use.[4]"

I'm a little confused by your response... Electrolux spun Husqvarna AB into its own company in 2006.

And Poulan is part of the Husqvarna group. So you do already own a product made by Husqvarna...

jlove1974 said:
that 372XP is no 066 either ;)

372 (70cc saw) is not in the same class as 066. Now a 390 or a 395 xp(87-94cc) those would compare to a 066. Run what you brung!

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
I'm a little confused by your response... Electrolux spun Husqvarna AB into its own company in 2006.

And Poulan is part of the Husqvarna group. So you do already own a product made by Husqvarna...

trust me. A spinoff doesn't mean a Husqueervarna isn't still made and designed by former electroSux engineers. for 30+ years they were made by Electrolux. And they still suck.

Poulan, although a part of the Husqvarna group NOW, hasn't always been.... I bought my saw in 1999 (although I am sure it is still an electrolux designed saw. It was also cheap under $100)

And I have owned many products made/engineered by Huskqueervarnish/Electrosux. Crapsman mowers that blew up, Weed Eaters that ate themselves, etc. They all basically suck.

And that's one reason I wouldn't throw good money after bad, by buying one of their professional saws instead of supporting a family-owned business model

smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:

372 (70cc saw) is not in the same class as 066. Now a 390 or a 395 xp(87-94cc) those would compare to a 066. Run what you brung!

What you meant to say is for a paltry sum of $800 you can only buy a 70cc saw by [H] that is sub-15lbs, instead of their comparable 90cc class saw for about double that.

Now, I know they don't make the old Stihl series anymore, but inflation doesn't account for all that extra dough being spent without the extra go....

Anyhow, all this crap is m00t points. A Dol-Kita is the best performing lightweight medium-powered saw for the money, hands down

jlove1974 said:
smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:

What you meant to say is for a paltry sum of $800 you can only buy a 70cc saw by [H] that is sub-15lbs, instead of their comparable 90cc class saw for about double that.

Now, I know they don't make the old Stihl series anymore, but inflation doesn't account for all that extra dough being spent without the extra go....

Anyhow, all this crap is m00t points. A Dol-Kita is the best performing lightweight medium-powered saw for the money, hands down

didnt meen to say that at all the 372 800.00 and the 660 is 1000.00....me I would not lay up on a 660 I would go all the way 880!

or you could buy the entire 3-saw Dolmar/Makita lineup from the CPO refurb unit w/ warranty, plus a BB Kit from Baileys. Just sayin!...

I guess most of you guys must love paying for dealership service, and me...I figure it this way: I have been working on two-strokes for 30 years, why stop now?
And why would I pay someone to go in and mess up a perfectly good saw with a gummed carburetor? No thanks, I will just start out w/ a better product...

Now, Stihl is a PITA because they don't let their parts go online as freely as some makes, but....you don't need to buy parts as often :)

smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:
smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:

didnt meen to say that at all the 372 800.00 and the 660 is 1000.00....me I would not lay up on a 660 I would go all the way 880!

Or you could buy one of these http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS7900_20_p/dolmar ps7900 20 chainsaw.htm

crap the url is broken becuase of the spaces. It's a Dolmar PS7900 for $825 6.3HP sub 15lb w/ bar and chain

jlove1974 said:
smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:
smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:

Or you could buy one of these http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS7900_20_p/dolmar ps7900 20 chainsaw.htm

crap the url is broken becuase of the spaces. It's a Dolmar PS7900 for $825 6.3HP sub 15lb w/ bar and chain

460 can be bought fot that as well!

if you mean an MS460 magnum, it's a bit heavier and a little less power, also w/ a 20" bar the DRSP is $919 according to Stihl.
Don't get me wrong, either saw is a HOSS for felling large oaks, but you can't beat Dolmar's quality or power-to-weight.

That being said, I'll take mine in blue, slightly used, with a fresh rebuild and +5cc for somewhere around half-price.
https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BBN+7900&catID=395

jlove1974 said:
if you mean an MS460 magnum, it's a bit heavier and a little less power, also w/ a 20" bar the DRSP is $919 according to Stihl.
Don't get me wrong, either saw is a HOSS for felling large oaks, but you can't beat Dolmar's quality or power-to-weight.

That being said, I'll take mine in blue

Orange Please. And hold the 20in. Not going to be used any how! And retail at the store on the dolmar will be more than buying over the internet. This argument been going on for awhile. Go check it out at one of there stores it will be over 900.00 bucks.
Any how I will run what I brung!

nope. That is the retail store price, and Amick's is about 30 minutes away from me...They also sell Stihl.

You must not fell many trees over 20" diameter if it won't be used....different strokes I guess.
I got some rounds that are 32" and not the biggest from that tree. Willow oaks are huge trees when full grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.