Stihl 028 and 025

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garcia.1

Nov 25, 2011
Central Illinois
I have been using a 028 for 25 years and would not want to use any other saw. It uses an 18" bar 26rsc .063 guage .325 pitch 74 drive link chain which I am very happy with, and the saw will handle anything I come across. I also have an 025 with a 16" bar and pico chain. I would like to switch the 025 over so it uses the same bar and chain as the 028. To me this would simplify buying and sharpening chains. I have been told that this is not possible, but I still believe it can be done. Any ideas on what to replace?

Bar, drive sprocket, & chain, but I would stay with a 16" bar on the 025. A C

I own a 025 , 026 , 280.

Unfortunately the bar mounts on the 025 are not the same as the 026/280 and larger versions. It's easy to change sprockets, but i'd be interested in how to fit the different size (026) bar mount on my 025 as well.

I know why y'all want to make the bars/chains the same for every saw you own but I just don't agree with it.

the 025/MS250 has the smaller (3005) Bar mount while the 026, 028 and larger use the larger 3003 mount. The bar mount is part of the crankcase and cannot be changed. Besides, what good is it having different size saws running the same bar and chain? Kinda like swapping the same engine from your pickup to your go-kart. Cool but impractical. Since the 025 isn't comfortable with a 20" bar on it, what's the harm in running the 16" on it and letting the big saws do the big work?

Reactions: n6crv
Status
Not open for further replies.