stihl 028 WB running promblem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perry

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2008
auburn hills, michigan
picked up a used stihl 028 wood boss. will start, but boggs when throttle up and kinda crackle sounding thru ehaust. when i get it up to rpms it will run enough high end to cut a log but just is not right.
gone thu the carb twice and adjusting the mix needles dont help. seems to me the points could be dirty/need adjust or coil maybe bad. how would i check the coil with a volt meter and how the heck do i get the flywheel off to check the points. could i use a mega-fire ignition on this saw ?.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-FIRE-I...588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483d62e0e4

I've done up a few older mag/points ignition systems with the transistor conversion. Works awesome.

You can most definitely convert from the older points. Really easy with stock parts from slightly newer saw.

I think you are on the right track, and these symptoms don't seem to point to it, but what is the condition of your fuel lines?

ill double check the fuel lines. what is the conversion kit ? my buddy owns a tree service and i may visit him and rummage thru his parts saws.

i put a mega fire ignition module on and it runs great.

ran great for 20min. now its back to crackleing sounding. going to go ahead and replace the coil with one of the newer types.

do you have the Service Manual and IPL? can't remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.