Stihl 028 WB -- Used -- $200 -- Good saw??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
Stihl 028 WB
Displacement 2.9 CID (47.0 CC)
Weight 11.7 Lbs
Max RPM 12,500
16 inch bar never used
Chain has not been sharpened yet
Starts very easily
Asking $200

Found this on CL. Never owned a Stihl. Wonder whether how much of a deal??

Attachments

• Stihl 028 WB.jpg
    Stihl 028 WB.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,127
Talk him down, $200 ain't bad. The 028 is a great saw but getting a little long in the tooth and parts are starting to become NLA.

Older saw, but in the day it was a very good and reliable saw . . . as mentioned it probably should have a chain brake.

Another fine example of "was good in its day" saw. Not sure about the 028 but my neighbor's 031AV got shelved when the coil went out. We nursed that saw for many a year. I bought him a 5100 and he never looked back. I got a new Dolmar 410 couple yrs back for same price. So I think for me it wouldn't be worth it when something newer, safer, and more powerful can be had close to that price.

200 for an 028 in that condition WITH a chain brake.

I probably wouldn't do much more than 150-175. Wouldn't be the worst 50 buck mistake to make, though, so go get it if you want it!

I know there is lots on here run without a brake. Just glad I am not one of them....

Well thanks to everyone you gave their two cents. I'm not going to buy this saw. I am looking for a second saw and reading a lot about the value of buying a used saw. This helped me to flesh out what to look for when buying a used saw. Thanks a bunch.

If you are looking for a saw to go with that echo, I'd look for something a little bigger than an 028. Something around 60cc would probably be better.

Danno77 said:
If you are looking for a saw to go with that echo, I'd look for something a little bigger than an 028. Something around 60cc would probably be better.

I'm actually looking in the 60+ range. Mainly wanted to see what people were thinking about used saws. I got a lot of great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.