Stihl 029 super died

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I think its about a 1991 Stihl 029 Super
I have noticed recently sometimes this saw doesnt want to accelerate the way it should but i didnt worry much b/c it was only once or twice. Today while sawing for a while it quit i figured it was ot of gas when i opened the tank cap to fill it, it wasnt completely empty. then it wouldnt reach full power at all. I found the vent tube leaking a bit. Guess i'll repalce it first but i dont think its the problem. Im thinkin' its trash in the carb/ fuel system. looking at getting a carb repair kit and clean it good and try it again. Last year i replaced the formed fuel line from clunk to carb. also replaced spark plug. compression seems good it always starts easily. It has always ran very well except for that fuel line cracking last year. My dad has an older husqvarna and says he's thinking of replacing it and was thinking of a Stihl but now he thinks my saw is problematic so he will stick with the husq brand cause its 15 yrs old and has never given even a hiccup. he said he had an old Stihl a long time ago took dynamite to start and you better not shut it off to refuel or it wont start again. It has never been anything big or expensive with this saw but i have owned it for about 3-4 yrs and have had some small issues in the past. Once it just quit with 3/4 tan of gas in it (Clunk fell off line in tank) then last year (fuel line cracked and started leaking air) Today ( It just quit reason undetermined so far )
Other things to look at and ideas are apreciated pretty much anything mechanically is within my scope so techincal answers are ok. Thanks

Moved to Gear area, as that is where most of the chainsaw discussion happens...

Gooserider

I wouldn't bother. That 029 is garbage. I'll pay shipping to have you send it to me. I'm a nice guy like that.

I had a 029 that was like that gave it to a local high school they determined it was the crank seals that was bad.Now that was over 15 years go and they are still tearing it down and rebuilding it every year. 7th graders go figure

I have the serial # for this saw 241788936
how do i find out how old it is?

I've got an 029-Super that is about 5 years old. The saw has been pretty dependable so far. Like you I suffered from a cracked fuel line that killed mine dead. The fix was fast and cheap. Other than that mine has been flawless. I also have an 026-Pro and while it is a better saw in some ways I still find I'll grab the 029 most of the time just because it starts so easily, has a very nice weight and ballance to it, and when we put the short (18") bar on it the thing will cut without strain all day long. From my point of view the two saws are pretty much interchangable. The 029 is heavier but not enough so as to be bothersome even for a relatively small guy like me (old too).

Status
Not open for further replies.