Stihl 032 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomjv

Jan 4, 2012
Westchester Co, NY
I recently inherited an older but well maintained 032. It was fine when I got it.

I accidentally used the wrong mix and ever since the saw is not right.
The manual calls for 25:1 which is odd. The previous owner had the manual annotated to indicate he used 32:1, fine. I got confused and used 40:1(my 361 mix). I only ran the saw for a few minutes!
I realized my mstake and dumped the fuel and added the correct mix.

Now the saw just doesn't run right. It doesn't like to idle, basically stalls. When run at speed, it's OK, but falters and will stall if you let off the throttle. Naturally, I haven't run the saw much, not wanting to damage it further. I cleaned the air filter and adjusted the carb as per manual. No change.

What should I do next?
TomJV

I don't think you did a bit of damage running good 40:1 mix in that saw - you should be just fine. How long did you run the saw prior to the problem - was it running great for a long while, or just for tests? I just broke down an 032 but didn't look close at the muffler (it was in bad shape) - I assume it has a spark screen - take a look at yours and make sure it isn't clogged (exhaust port too). If the saw hasn't had a good carb cleaning in a long while, you might need to clean the carb well and perhaps put in a carb kit if the diaphragms are getting weak. Fresh fuel line, filter and new spark plug are always good service items when receiving a used saw. Have you looked at piston condition and tested compression just to make sure the basics are solid? Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

Pull the muffler and check for scoring. I agree that modern 40:1 should be a good mix for that saw. That should not have hurt a thing. Sounds to me like a fuel issue. Carb cleaning/tuning, gasket leaks, etc. are the first things I would check along with compression.

I agree, that fuel mix wouldn't have harmed it. I just bought a used ms250 that was doing that. I read somewhere that meant it was rich on the low adjustment so I leaned the low screw a bit and set the idle and now it seems to be working ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.