stihl 039

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFord

Jun 5, 2011
central NC
I'm wordering what a used 039 should go for? I found one uesd for $250 with not much wear at all.
It seem like a fair price. I think new they are around $460. I am just looking for something bigger than my johnsered. I am also looking at new saws as well, like a husky 455 rancher. Just a side note I would get another Johnered,but it's just too hard to fine parts locally.

250 for a nice one should be a good price. does it have a chain brake on it? Don't wait too long if you really want it. it will be gone fast at that price.

Reactions: smokinj
Don't they all have a chain brake?

I just listed my 039 couple weeks ago for $300 and was gone in about 3 days (guy drove over 2 hours to come get it) - it was in nice condition. Another 039 came up in NH about a 2 weeks ago for $200, tried to go buy it but it was gone the same day. I'd go get it now. The comparable model now is the MS391 - about $580. Cheers!

$250 is a good price for one, but not the best. I have bought many clean 029/290/310/390 saws between $150-225, have sold many for $250-350. The drawback of the 390 is the higher vibration, and for that reason I prefer the 310 of the series. 039 is the same saw as the 390, except the 390 has the flippy caps. The 390 is no longer sold in the US and has been replaced with the 391. The 390 is easy to modify and make into a better saw.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Thanks for the info stihlhead, as it turns out the saw was already sold. So I am still looking. I might start looking for a 310 series like you said if it
has less vibs.

All 039's will be equipped with chainbrakes.
I did not know that, but it makes sense considering they aren't as old as some of the other models.

I did not know that, but it makes sense considering they aren't as old as some of the other models.
039 only turns the clock back to 1993. Every new model introduced from the early 80's on had a standard chainbrake. 034, 038, all but 1 version of the 028, you get the idea of what era I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info stihlhead, as it turns out the saw was already sold. So I am still looking. I might start looking for a 310 series like you said if it
has less vibs.
I don't think you missed out on a great deal. There will be better deals to be had if you are patient. (I paid less for my 361)

I have time, as I still have a good working saw.

Yah, I found my latest 310 at a pawn shop of all places. They want an arm and leg for Stihls here, and usually they are beaters. They wanted $200. I did a double take, inspected the saw for flaws, none found. Must have had all of 5 tanks of gas run through it with a 20 inch bar. The sales guy said there as a 5% discount for cash sales, so I went to the ATM and it was $190. I took it home and Euro modified the muffler and re-tuned the carb (cut the limiter tabs off) so it has the same power as a stock 390, with less vibration. Its the last of my many 1127 series saws.

Comparing the vibration on them (left/right M/S*S):
290: 4.6/5.7
310: 4.3/4.7
390: 5.9/5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.