stihl 041 farmboss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
anybody know the trick to changing the sprocket on a stihl 041 farmboss? i cant get the old one off!!!

Are you aware that this is a left hand thread? I changed one on my 041 some time ago, and used an impact wrench. It came right off. Remember it is a left hand thread, Ken

Another thing that can be useful if you find that you are turning the engine over (especially likely if you aren't using an impact wrench) is to pull the spark plug, and stuff a length of rope into the plug hole - this will stop the engine from turning when the piston hits it, while being soft enough not to cause any damage. It also is a pretty good safety measure regardless as it removes any possibility of accidentally starting the engine.

Gooserider

weezer4117 said:
anybody know the trick to changing the sprocket on a stihl 041 farmboss? i cant get the old one off!!!

Some of the already mentioned ideas ought to work. But, early 041s have the nut separate from the threaded clutch-spider so you cannot get a socket on the spider to spin it with an air-wrench (left hand thread). Stihl makes a three-tooth wrench that works fine. Also, to lock up the engine - Stihl also has a thread-in piston stop that accomplishes the same as sticking already mentioned (with a piece of rope in the plug hole).

jdemaris said:
weezer4117 said:

Some of the already mentioned ideas ought to work. But, early 041s have the nut separate from the threaded clutch-spider so you cannot get a socket on the spider to spin it with an air-wrench (left hand thread). Stihl makes a three-tooth wrench that works fine. Also, to lock up the engine - Stihl also has a thread-in piston stop that accomplishes the same as sticking already mentioned (with a piece of rope in the plug hole).

I've heard a few people object to the idea of a screw in piston stop, (or using other solid tools) based on the notion that it's going to put a small, hard point of contact against the piston, which according to the objectors, puts more strain on it and gives some risk of damaging the piston... I don't know how "real" the risk is, but it sounds at least somewhat plausible to me. OTOH, the rope trick gives a larger contact area that has a certain level of "squish" to it, which should give a wider load bearing area on the piston. Besides, why pay for a fancy tool? Rope is cheap, and usually you have a free length right handy, firmly attached to the saw in its own little auto retracting storage container :coolsmirk:

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I've heard a few people object to the idea of a screw in piston stop, (or using other solid tools) based on the notion that it's going to put a small, hard point of contact against the piston, which according to the objectors, puts more strain on it and gives some risk of damaging the piston...

Stihl uses a plastic screw-in piston stop, not metal. It's soft on the end. Not going to hurt a thing. I've be more nervous about taking an impact gun to the sprocket nut considering the crankshaft is two-piece. That being said, I've never seen one of those two-piece cranks like Stihl uses - come out of alignment.

Gooserider said:
[
I've heard a few people object to the idea of a screw in piston stop

I got looking through some of my old Stihl service tool books and tech updates for 041. All say any piston stop, metal or plastic is fine for the 041. I worked for one of the first Stihl dealer in country before they even had a presence in Virginia Beach.

Attachments

• 041 tools.jpg
    041 tools.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 319
  • clutch wrench 041.jpg
    clutch wrench 041.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 278
  • long stop.jpg
    long stop.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 285
  • stop1.jpg
    stop1.jpg