Stihl 041av and 046

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Found a good deal on these two saws and was needing some info on them but mainly on the 041av. Hp? cc? how old? any tips gripes recomendations? any info. Getting rid of the 3400 poulan countervibs.

I have a 16" 041 farm boss I got in 77...cut 20 cords a year for about 15 years before I got my 20" Husky. For the last 15 years the Husky's been my primary but I still use the 041 about 4+ hrs a year. Mostly when I top my ceder hedge row and thinning out the woods of the larger scrub brush that too big for the weed whacker or brush hog.

I looked threw the spec's no listing of HP, strange I know, the piston displacement is 3.72 cu.in. It'll also work an 18in bar according to the book. Just say'en the 041av may be newer than mine. Mine has a toggle on/off switch on the left of the trigger and the choke is on the top right of the air filter cover...

the book calls for 1:40 oil mix but I've been using 1:50 with no problem for the last 15 years.

No bitches...got my moneys worth out of that saw...Oh replaced the spring pull starter assembly ...but that's about it.

When I get home from work I can send you a file for the 041 service manual send me a pm with you e mail address

Rob

The 046 is basically the MS460 without the new style fuel and oil caps. 75cc and will run a 28" bar with authority. The 041AV is a venerable old saw that some say you need to watch for bolts coming loose on it because of the vibration. A lot of low end torque.

yes! went ahead and bought the 046 and it turned out to be a 460 magnum when i got it home. Come out ahead for once! 300 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.