Stihl 044 oiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
So as some may know I just got myself what I think is a very nice 044. I went out and looked it over this morning after it sat the night and there is chain oil under the saw... How do I stop this from happening?

COULD JUST BE LEAKING AT THE CAP! ;) (New cap)

I dont think so the tank was almost empty the night before and what was in it is now on my work bench.

I dont think so the tank was almost empty the night before and what was in it is now on my work bench.

Check the oil cap good. Very cheap fix if it is. If not your looking at a cracked case or gasket.

Well when you put it like that...;)

The last thing i did with the saw last night was check the gas and oil. I have not even cut anything with it yet.

Reactions: smokinj
The oiler is either possibly loose or in need of replacement. Either way, not a big deal on that saw.

Lets hope SmokinJ is wrong.........cracked case = saw overhaul. That would suck.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks for all your help

You could try this. Take the bar & chain off, Clean the area with brake clean & dry. Fully fill the oil tank and lay it cap side up, Since the cap is the highest point it should not leak out of the cap. Check it in the morning for any oil leakage.

So I filled up the oil tank and pulled the cover off to clean everything up. Left it sit for the night and no oil leaks this morning. One more thing to note is the other day when I first seen the oil on the bench, oil was also running down the bar in a few spots. So now I'm thinking the oiler is putting out a lot of oil. I check the screw and its turned down as low as it gets.

Keep an eye on your bar when you are cutting. You don't want that oiler turned down too low where it isn't keeping the bar lubed.

Reactions: smokinj
Keep an eye on your bar when you are cutting. You don't want that oiler turned down too low where it isn't keeping the bar lubed.

Will do. Thanks for the help.

So I filled up the oil tank and pulled the cover off to clean everything up. Left it sit for the night and no oil leaks this morning. One more thing to note is the other day when I first seen the oil on the bench, oil was also running down the bar in a few spots. So now I'm thinking the oiler is putting out a lot of oil. I check the screw and its turned down as low as it gets.

Leave it on the highest setting.....Get over it and bust some cords!;)

044 is the old screw type cap. Flippy is the MS440.

Those screw in type can get pretty loose in the threades. I really cant beleave people wanting them.:) Gives them something to _itch about I guess.

Reactions: MasterMech
Given a choice of caps, I prefer the screw in type. I'm old school. Either way works. It's the saw under/behind the caps that count, not the caps themselves. Refer to Stihl Flippy caps- dislike (suck) thread.

If you use thin weight oil like tsc sells or motor oil it will leak. I use stihl oil and get no leaks. My buddy filled mine with tsc oil to help me out one day and it leaked all over my truck. Not that the thinner oil wont work it just tends to run thru while sitting.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.