Stihl 064/066 update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southbound said:
Some Carlton bars are GB.. Now who makes GB???I know they just sold out to someone new.....

Aren't the Stihl ES bars GB??? Same tip........

don't know the answer to that one es bars are heavier gauge bars than the gb's... Gb where made in Australia and was bought out by a China company. I thought stihl makes there own bars.

Ok so I ran to the shop to pick up my chains and have them reset the carb on the 64....

I told him that I ordered a Carlton bar and chain and he bout sh**...I had wondered why they don't have GB or Carlton stuff for sale and I got to find out why...He has a nib GB Titanium bar 20" $39.99. I was told they bought 5 sold 4 and all four came back with bad tips...Then they had trouble with saw chain flying apart is what he said... Just sitting there running and the chain would just fly apart..... One thing I did disagree on was all Carlton bars are GB..I know they are not and I know the one I just bought is not a GB bar... So did I make a mistake yet again???Only time will tell..............

Now back to the 64 I had trouble before getting the chain to stop at idle,,I did new springs cleaned all that up and he did get the carb set to where it did stop..Not today we reset the carb and it would not stop so I get a how lessen for free at the dealer....He has this thing that if he hands me the tools and I do the work like he tells me there is no charge so of coarse I let him tell me what to do... Today's lesson the oilier worm gear...I pulled apart the saw so we could get at the clutch drum he gave it a spin and said the gear was bad..So off comes the clutch and the gear was hard to turn by hand...Off comes the gear ok I say how much for a new one and he said lets just fix the one you got...So He showed me how the brass (I think) inside the gear had worked up so it got tapped back down then he had me run flat file over it. Once that was done he had me sand the inside a little and we applied grease...On goes the gear then the clutch and a little more grease on the bearing well you know the rest.. I went out to start the saw idle great and the chain was not spinning....

So when it was time to go I asked what I owed and the bill for 3 chains going to the grinder was $9.88 he would not let me pay for his time....O and I got another orange carb screwdriver.Seems every time I go in now I get something to take with me...

Yes they have turned into a great dealer I just had to give them time..I have lived here for 20 years but I am still considered a outsider even to my wife's family...

southbound said:
Yes they have turned into a great dealer I just had to give them time..I have lived here for 20 years but I am still considered a outsider even to my wife's family...

you would fit in here with that saw lol....just mounted a old boat wench to my trailer for pulling logs on and should work great for winching down trees. One more rigging tool.

As for the saw the 64/66 is bigger then most loggers around here use...Kinda feels funny going into the shop knowing I have the biggest saw there... Then when we get it running everyone says that thing is a monster..

I laugh as I tell them all I do is cut firewood but I do it really fast....

southbound said:
sounds sweet!!!!!!

I got about 6 right by the house that would work great on...Coming to tn any time soon????????????

You find another 66in. oak and I might just take a vacation for that!

southbound said:
As for the saw the 64/66 is bigger then most loggers around here use...Kinda feels funny going into the shop knowing I have the biggest saw there... Then when we get it running everyone says that thing is a monster..

I laugh as I tell them all I do is cut firewood but I do it really fast....

around here most of the tree services run the 660 I went with the 460 knowing I was going to modd. it and at that time I felt the 2lbs lighter was a big deal....it runs great but i would rather have a modded 660 36in. bar

He said there is something out there even bigger and I can cut it for fun....I was going back to take pic's but Sun is Easter so it will have to wait but I will go look at that tree....

southbound said:
I'm still working on that 046 mag dude has in his shed....

lol work hard there awesome with a 28in. on them 145000rpm is easy to get they just dont have the bore and stroke for a 36in. bar

smokinjay said:
southbound said:

lol work hard there awesome with a 28in. on them 145000rpm is easy to get they just dont have the bore and stroke for a 36in. bar

I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out to be his wife's brother's saw and he lives in CA. So now I'm after his wife to get a price.. We all are good friends and I'm sure in time it will work out...

In fact we are meeting up on Sat and the only reason I'm going along with the women folk is to work the saw thing......

I guess after the 46 I'll need a 84...I found one on the bay listed as a 64 but I guess they found out what it was and killed the listing.....

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

Turns out to be his wife's brother's saw and he lives in CA. So now I'm after his wife to get a price.. We all are good friends and I'm sure in time it will work out...

In fact we are meeting up on Sat and the only reason I'm going along with the women folk is to work the saw thing......

lol take one for the team that would be one AWESOME saw set...

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

lol take one for the team that would be one AWESOME saw set...

Stihl would like the 84 some day...

southbound said:
This thing they call cad sucks!!!!!!!!!!

no it dont lol Love it....next one here is 100-120cc and a mill I am starting to collect logs now so when I get a good stock pile the it will be worth it.

One more thing I'll have to learn about someday I'm just not ready....I have split some of the most beautiful red oak white oak cherry and so on to keep the house warm it would make a man wanting timber to mill sick...

And trust me after 10 years grading lumber at the mill I know what I am burning....

southbound said:
One more thing I'll have to learn about someday I'm just not ready....I have split some of the most beautiful red oak white oak cherry and so on to keep the house warm it would make a man wanting timber to mill sick...

And trust me after 10 years grading lumber at the mill I know what I am burning....

I painting the ends should be good for a year off the ground...My dad has a cabinet shop about a mile away.

hes got a 3 phase planner and pointer

Status
Not open for further replies.