Stihl 064/066 update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
As for the saw the 64/66 is bigger then most loggers around here use...Kinda feels funny going into the shop knowing I have the biggest saw there... Then when we get it running everyone says that thing is a monster..

I laugh as I tell them all I do is cut firewood but I do it really fast....

around here most of the tree services run the 660 I went with the 460 knowing I was going to modd. it and at that time I felt the 2lbs lighter was a big deal....it runs great but i would rather have a modded 660 36in. bar

I've got two nib Winsor 36in 50ga bars with oragon chain for $170. I put one on my 360 as I want to have a large bar on the few wolf trees I cut. I have to baby it but it's still faster than cutting from both sides.
leaddog

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
One more thing I'll have to learn about someday I'm just not ready....I have split some of the most beautiful red oak white oak cherry and so on to keep the house warm it would make a man wanting timber to mill sick...

And trust me after 10 years grading lumber at the mill I know what I am burning....

I painting the ends should be good for a year off the ground...My dad has a cabinet shop about a mile away.

hes got a 3 phase planner and pointer

Really?? the guy that gave me the saw has a small cabinet shop and of course I have spent the last ten years building doors...

leaddog said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
As for the saw the 64/66 is bigger then most loggers around here use...Kinda feels funny going into the shop knowing I have the biggest saw there... Then when we get it running everyone says that thing is a monster..

around here most of the tree services run the 660 I went with the 460 knowing I was going to modd. it and at that time I felt the 2lbs lighter was a big deal....it runs great but i would rather have a modded 660 36in. bar

I've got two nib Winsor 36in 50ga bars with oragon chain for $170. I put one on my 360 as I want to have a large bar on the few wolf trees I cut. I have to baby it but it's still faster than cutting from both sides.
leaddog

lol a 36in. on a 361 wow...your about 4in. long for my saw

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
One more thing I'll have to learn about someday I'm just not ready....I have split some of the most beautiful red oak white oak cherry and so on to keep the house warm it would make a man wanting timber to mill sick...

And trust me after 10 years grading lumber at the mill I know what I am burning....

I painting the ends should be good for a year off the ground...My dad has a cabinet shop about a mile away.

Really?? the guy that gave me the saw has a small cabinet shop and of course I have spent the last ten years building doors...

I'll get some pic of some of my dad work hes been building over 55 years.

smokinjay said:
leaddog said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

leaddog

I bought 3 of them on the bay site as I wanted a longer bar for those few times I cut stumps and wolf trees. I've only used it about four times but it has saved time and effort. I wouldn't want to use it very much cause it isn't balanced as it is bar heavy but I can make a cut in one pass instead of two and trying and hit the other side. If I run into something bigger that I have to bury the bar I don't think I'd have enough power then.
leaddog

leaddog said:
smokinjay said:
leaddog said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

leaddog

I bought 3 of them on the bay site as I wanted a longer bar for those few times I cut stumps and wolf trees. I've only used it about four times but it has saved time and effort. I wouldn't want to use it very much cause it isn't balanced as it is bar heavy but I can make a cut in one pass instead of two and trying and hit the other side. If I run into something bigger that I have to bury the bar I don't think I'd have enough power then.
leaddog

I could run run a 36in. with my 460 but not the way I like to run..and most dont run like I do 361 I like the 16in. 460 28in and the 192t has a 14in .43 bar and it might get change out to a 12in. but starting to get use to the reach now.

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

I'll get some pic of some of my dad work hes been building over 55 years.

Sweet we are always looking for ideas....................

I have messed around and made a few things over the years..........These were taken in our old place...

DSC00723Medium.jpg

DSC00722Medium.jpg

These sell real well..
DSC01510.jpg

And the sound system for my pc..
DSC01216.jpg

I made everything from scrap I found at work....

Looks good....shepard looks strong and nice gun.

See all those Quake games still sealed in the big box???

I picked them up at the local beer store for $0.99 each...The last one I sold on the bay went for $136 + shipping...Still got a few left....

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
Looks good....shepard looks strong and nice gun.

He was a Akita and he left a scare on my wife forehand... I got rid of the dog and now I'm wondering if it was the right choice ;)

lol only time will tell. did you see leaddogs got 2- 36in. bars bet he needs a holster?

southbound said:
Nope but I have made holsters for everything else why not a saw??

Bump need update on the saw?

Sorry...

I have split the case and replaced the bad gasket..Again the bearings were fine it was the case gasket that let go..I thought $60+ for bearings was a little much to pay to replace a $6 gasket..Anyway I had the shop retune the carb last Sat. and now shes running like a top....To seat the new bearings I put the bearing in the freezer and baked the case half at 200 for one hour...With the right sized socket they went right in...

I also had to drop off my 038 to get a carb kit installed...

$9 for the kit and $15 to install..I had to let them do it and save myself the trouble.....

southbound said:
Sorry...

I have split the case and replaced the bad gasket..Again the bearings were fine it was the case gasket that let go..I thought $60+ for bearings was a little much to pay to replace a $6 gasket..Anyway I had the shop retune the carb last Sat. and now shes running like a top....To seat the new bearings I put the bearing in the freezer and baked the case half at 200 for one hour...With the right sized socket they went right in...

I also had to drop off my 038 to get a carb kit installed...

$9 for the kit and $15 to install..I had to let them do it and save myself the trouble.....

Sweet Now we need a video on this thing. I hear that suppose to be a hot saw!

southbound said:
The same....Just no white smoke...

Awww Sweet still like it better than that 441 you been running?

rough for sure...I'm to old and it is to hot lol...

We killed two big copper heads yesterday..We seem to avg 3 a week... I like it when we walk into a hardwood haler and we get to cut timber but most the time it is what we call danger bushes...

Ok let me elaborate a little..I was called in to cut danger trees but they are few and far between so most my time is with the hand cutters clearing anything that the bush hog can't get to.The bush hog goes just about anywhere so the stuff we do is usually strait up.One day we were talking about the fact that there just is not enough of the danger trees and someone said there are plenty of danger bushes for us to cut and the term stuck. It's one of those you had to be there type thing I guess but now when ever someone new comes along we warn them about those killer danger bushes....

On a side note danger trees are any tree that endanger the power line..Most are not a big deal but when you come up on one that can hit the line we have to do what ever it take to make sure it doesn't..Folks may or may not know this but all we have to do is get a tree to fall with in 3 foot of the line and it will arch and run the power to the ground..It will also burn all the leaves off and zap you if you get to close..now on the big 500 lines you your self will hold a charge till to touch a truck or the tractor and so on.. You know like start to sweat a little and pick up your saw and you get zapped and not a little zap either it does hurt..Waiting for it to stop my heart one day....

Yesterday one crew was out in a bucket truck removing some trees 80+ feet in the air in a thunder storm wind blowing and so on...Just glad it was not me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.