Stihl 090?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckV309

Nov 18, 2008
Germantown Hills, IL
I have a huge old Stihl 090. Bought it for $100 about 8 years ago with the 4' bar. The guy selling it said he had not run it for a couple years and could no longer pull it to start it. I stepped on the handle and 3 pulls later it started and ran perfect, so I handed him the $100 and ran. I bought a 2' bar for it because it tips with the 4'. The problem is the clutch/drive sprocket is wearing out. The teeth are worn and the clutch doesn't let the engine idle without spinning the chain. The idle isn't a huge deal for me other than it dies with the 4' bar. Too much drag for idle and restarting all the time is a pain. The saw still has plenty of power; it can still scream with the 4' bar burried in a tree. I've checked with my local dealer and he can't get a sprocket and clutch for it. Any ideas where to get a new one?

ChuckV309 said:
I have a huge old Stihl 090. Bought it for $100 about 8 years ago with the 4' bar. The guy selling it said he had not run it for a couple years and could no longer pull it to start it. I stepped on the handle and 3 pulls later it started and ran perfect, so I handed him the $100 and ran. I bought a 2' bar for it because it tips with the 4'. The problem is the clutch/drive sprocket is wearing out. The teeth are worn and the clutch doesn't let the engine idle without spinning the chain. The idle isn't a huge deal for me other than it dies with the 4' bar. Too much drag for idle and restarting all the time is a pain. The saw still has plenty of power; it can still scream with the 4' bar burried in a tree. I've checked with my local dealer and he can't get a sprocket and clutch for it. Any ideas where to get a new one?
wow that is a saw! Watch ebay parts will come in there from time to time

The spring on the clutch is stretched. It's supposed to resist centrifugal force at idle and succumb to it at higher speed.

Chuck, its not worth your time. Send me a pm. I'm only minutes away, I'll take it off your hands and put a couple 100's in your pocket

Thanks, Boostnut, but no thanks. I think I'll keep it for now. I've looked on e-bay a couple of times and no luck. I'll keep trying.

Hey boost, where in central IL. I'm thinking of building a custom splitter. maybe we can get together.

Chuck

I live in washington and work in morton. I work in a fab shop, if you need any help with the splitter let me know. Aaron

ChuckV309 said:
I've checked with my local dealer and he can't get a sprocket and clutch for it. Any ideas where to get a new one?

There's no problem getting sprockets for the 070s/090s. I just put a new one on my 090 Lightning a few months ago. I changed it over to 3/8" years ago, from .404 chain and I know, the 3/8" sprockets are easy to get aftermarket.

ChuckV309 said:
Thanks, Boostnut, but no thanks. I think I'll keep it for now. I've looked on e-bay a couple of times and no luck. I'll keep trying.

Hey boost, where in central IL. I'm thinking of building a custom splitter. maybe we can get together.

Chuck

smart move. I saw a original, like new, 090 sell for $2000 on ebay....your's running is worth close to a grand. They are great saws for chainsaw milling of lumber....check out www.arboristsite.com for good info on milling. bob

Besides the chain, is there anything else you have to change to run the different size? Is that $15 for just the sprocket, or does that include the clutch also?

Thanks for the part number.

Chuck

ChuckV309 said:
Besides the chain, is there anything else you have to change to run the different size? Is that $15 for just the sprocket, or does that include the clutch also?

Thanks for the part number.

Chuck

It's a rim-sprocket kit. For the rim, as I recall, you can get it in 3/8" or .404 - I just happen to prefer the 3/8"

With a rim-sprocket - you can change chain pitch without changing the whole one piece drum and sprocket which is kind of a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.