Stihl 170

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
So I just got a little issue figured out through another thread on this saw, so I got to wondering, how many people have this little saw, how long have they had it and what do they think of it?

I have owned mine for 8 or 9 years now and I have used the heck out of it. For a while, it was my only saw. I bought it to carry on the 4 wheeler while trail riding and it has now evolved into limbing for the big saw, trail clearing and brush removal (tall gilders in Michigan) and even some construction work. Its cut through logs bigger than it should and other than normal maintenance and parts replacement, its bee very reliable.

Same. The 170 is simple, light , reliable as a backup, limbing, backpack trail work.
Also used it for years without problems. Stihl made it for women ....and us.

I love my 170! But the bloody oiler is always acting up.

Get a dentist pick to clear the oil holes in the saw and bar.

They are a great little product. Mine gets the same abuse yours does and fires up everytime. Just pulled out my stihl leaf blower been sitting for a year now. Primed it and fired up first pull..