Stihl 241c or 261c

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardg40

Mar 11, 2013
If you had to pick 1 saw between these 2 what would it be ?

I cut between 7 to 10 cords of firewood every year and was using a Stihl ms 250 but its starting to give me grief so down to my local Stihl dealer i go to pick a replacement saw .

$ 110 difference in the price .

I have a 241 and love it for small work and limbing. (My back does too) But if your going for 1 saw it's definitely not for the volume of cords your looking at. The 241 is more for someone with a 2 saw plan. I'd think a 261 or 362 would serve you better for one saw. Also consider a husqvarna 555 or Echo Timberwolf, as versatile firewood saws.

Pennstater thanks for your comment . My local dealer recommended the 241 so thats the saw i bought . I do cut avg 8 cords a year of firewood but it's not huge trees as the most i split my wood is just in 1/2.

I will keep my 250 and tune it up but when you travel 30 miles to get to your woodlot for a full day of wood cutting its a nice feeling that you have a very reliable and light saw to use .

If i come to the conclusion that i made a mistake i'll eventually buy the 261 . The 241 is considered a pro saw so i should be ok i think .

There was a customer at the dealers when i was there that told me he has a 241 and he cuts a lot more wood than i do and its an all day saw with no issues .

I love mine. The 241 and 261 are both pro saws and very well built. (I don't love the plastic handle on a pro saw but that's small stuff). What a 241 limits you on is a 16 inch bar and it's only about 42 cc so it's not a speed demon in the large hardwoods. Which for me means cuts on both sides and more time per round which means more time at wood lot.But if your 250 works and is reliable, then a bird in the hand.... if you decide to buy a new one though each is quality and you will be happy with either

I had the same kind of dilemma recently, but, opted for the ms311. I have an ms250 and a husky 445 for limbing and general use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update , i just went to my dealer and exchanged my new ms241 for a ms261 . They only charged me $ 60 more to upgrade . I already have 2 chainsaws for limbing.

So i now own a Stihl ms261c , stihl 250 , and Husky 345 . Watch out woods here i come :)

So i now own a Stihl ms261c , stihl 250 , and Husky 345

50cc, 45cc, 45cc... I guess you know what you like! Is the 261 a C-M, or did he have an older conventional model still sitting around?

50cc, 45cc, 45cc... I guess you know what you like! Is the 261 a C-M, or did he have an older conventional model still sitting around?

Stihl has rereleased the standard carb version with the redisign of the 261's.

richardg did you get the new lighter weight version? They have a goofy looking clutch cover.

Reactions: jeff_t
Status
Not open for further replies.