Stihl 261

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I am considering replacing my 18 year old 260 with the 261 but there are 3 versions of the 261. I called my local dealer and he said he only had 2 versions in his book that were the same price. He says one has pollution control on it. Can someone give me more detail? Stihl shows a 261, 261CM, and 261CMQ.

I've got the 261 CM and it's a nice little saw. gas tank isn't that big, but it's light weight and you certainly shouldn't get tuckered running it. i think the only difference between the CM and CMQ is this quickstop chain brake feature (on the CMQ only). i guess you have to decide whether you want to pay for that or not. i like my little saw just the way it is. i would recommend it.

I have the non-cm version (no electronic start, just straight carbed iirc) and it's bulletproof. i've used it to cut down a forest of trees at this point, some up to 3' across. I know, it's not made for that, but it can do it! I opted for the non-electronic version because I don't like working on computerized stuff and it was $50 cheaper.

Reactions: StihlKicking
MissMac pretty much hits it. I think a pint is a big gas tank and that it's a fairly big saw, but that's just me. It's a pro saw, you won't be disappointed.

I also own one I love it, you can get three different bar sizes for it, 14,16, and 18. With the 14" bar on it, I feel like I am competitive saw cutting it will definitely RIP it up.

I own the non Mtronic 261, it’s on its 11th season. Like stated above it seems to be bullet proof. I run a 16” hard nose bar on it. If I could only have one saw this would be it. Very nice power to weight ratio.

Reactions: D8Chumley
When you do a saw comparison, It says the C-MQ does not have decompression. I love that feature on my 260.

The decompression button on my 2018 261CM doesn't work, saw will not start with it pressed. It's not needed, no problem pulling the cord to start the saw.

Tadmaz, Wonder if its working or your using it correctly. You don't hold it in. Just push it in, pull the rope and the first compression stroke the decompression valve closes itself. Mine has always started well. I like it, as I makes the pull predictable and easy.

I have one and abuse the heck out of it.. starts everytime and even found out it will run on diesel just won't shut off....lol.. it sits on the front of my ATV and is usually getting covered by mud... would definately buy another

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I have one and abuse the heck out of it.. starts everytime and even found out it will run on diesel just won't shut off....lol.. it sits on the front of my ATV and is usually getting covered by mud... would definately buy another

I would love to hear more of the diesel story if your serious.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Haha... my boss used my gas can and filled it with diesel. I then proceeded to fill the lawnmower, weed eater, and my can for the saw out on my ATV.. out n the trail cutting new trail. Topped off my saw and kept cutting. We were all wondering why my saw was getting really smoky. Figured I had just mixed wrong.. went to shut it off and it just continued to idle. Had to pull air filter and block the carb.. went to work on it the next day and it would not start... as soon as I dumped the fuel I knew what it was... fresh gas and it ran like a top....lol

Reactions: StihlKicking
Tadmaz, Wonder if its working or your using it correctly. You don't hold it in. Just push it in, pull the rope and the first compression stroke the decompression valve closes itself. Mine has always started well. I like it, as I makes the pull predictable and easy.
I will have to revisit the decompression valve. I pressed the valve in, couldn't start it, handed it to my dad and he tried, he handed it to someone else, the three of us couldn't start it for the life of us. We used the scrench and unpopped the valve and it started no problem.