Stihl 261

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northwinds

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2006
south central WI
Well, my Husky 350 bit the dust after about five years of fruitful production. Yesterday, picked up
the Stihl 261 for $509 from the local dealer, minus another $50 for the Husky trade-in. I'm anxious
to try it out, but we've got high winds and rain today, so probably not a good day for cutting wood.
Anybody else have this saw? Tips? It started right up last night when I got home. Controls, particularly
the choke, are a bit different from the Husky, but seems to have a nice feel for operation.

I thought hard about the Stihl 362, but I don't cut a lot of big stuff and the weight of the 261 felt more
comfortable to me. I'm not getting any younger.

Its a great saw and should last you a couple life times.

Adios Pantalones said:
I believe it's an update of the 260 with better "mileage". If so, it's a killer. I have a 260 and love it. The way I've abused it for 10 years- it's amazing how reliable it is.

I'm glad to hear the predictions for durability.

Unfortunately, problems with the muffler bolts/threads on my Husky 350 did the saw in. Looking
forward to compare and contrast with the Stihl saw.

State of the art 50cc saw....Give it 5-6 tanks of fuel before making any real opinions on it.

northwinds said:
Adios Pantalones said:
I believe it's an update of the 260 with better "mileage". If so, it's a killer. I have a 260 and love it. The way I've abused it for 10 years- it's amazing how reliable it is.

I'm glad to hear the predictions for durability.

Unfortunately, problems with the muffler bolts/threads on my Husky 350 did the saw in. Looking
forward to compare and contrast with the Stihl saw.

Gonna be a night and day difference.

Good luck with the new saw. When I get tired of my MS250,,think i'm gonna pick up a 261, but it may take a while to burn out the 250,,,i'm just sayin... :smirk:

My 261 may be the best birthday/father's day/etc. present my wife has given me. After having 2 Homelite 46cc 20" units crap out on me (1 was a warranty replacement) she surprised me with a new saw and all kinds of accessories.

She's a keeper. And I think my wife is pretty great too.

I have a 20" bar on mine and it gets the job done, I find it is not worth trying to rush the saw. Let it do it's thing and it will do a great job. Mine has cut up a 6' x 40" log without missing a beat. I am seriously thinking about getting an 18" bar as I think it may be a bit ether balanced compared to the 20".

I started off with the 18" bar and cut a face cord yesterday. I was pretty happy with the balance
and feathered a few cuts on a tricky white oak that had partially fallen. I love this time of year
when the air is crisp, and the undergrowth is starting to die off.

I think you will really like the saw. The 350 is nice but is only a homeowner saw so you just took a nice step up.

I find the 261 a bit heavy for a 50 cc saw but it is nice for bucking and if it is the only saw you are using, I think it is a good choice.

And if you need anything bigger cut up, you can give me a call. ;-)

wendell said:
And if you need anything bigger cut up, you can give me a call. ;-)

I'll keep you on my short list, wendell, for the big ones. In fact, I know there are a couple
of big ones on the ground on the Roxbury property. Let me know if you have any room
in your yard for more wood. :)

I always have room for more wood, especially if it is your gourmet hickory!

Status
Not open for further replies.