Stihl 360 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensent

Apr 22, 2010
central Ill
My son has a Stihl 360 Pro that has a scored cylinder wall. Needs to replace piston, cylinder,and related items. Local Stihl dealer charged $20 to pull the muffler and explain the problem. He wants $440 to repair the saw. New saw was mentioned at $650 for I think 361 or 362, what ever the EPA compliant version of the 360Pro is currently. I think $440 is more than we should spend on the saw. Looking for ideas for repair or replacement. Dont really need a saw that size for firewood. What say you?
Thanks
Tom

Jay has a good suggestion. I'm not a professional mechanic but I've rebuilt a couple of saws over the years. You might want to consider a kit that comes with a cylinder,piston and rings etc from a good company. Again no affiliation with Baileys but heres a kit for 100. Might be a good father and son project?
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=Stihl 036 cyl&catID=10162

i'm sure there are other places to get the kits and I'd imagine you probably want to go for some good quality. I have no idea who makes the best kit but it maybe an option. I also suppose you could ask your dealer for a list of parts and get OEM stuff too.

smokinjay said:
Ah look for someone outside the dealership to rebuilt it for you. On this site Southbound would be the guy to get a rebuild price from. 360 very nice saw should make a good rebuild.

here is an 046 he brought back from the deep blue sea!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63132/

Sure drag me into it lol!!!

Really I would rebuild it myself,,Sounds like a great father and son project to me..

Now for that the Baileys kits they seem kinda iffy to me but for the price and the fact that they stand behind their stuff it is hard to pass up...

Did the shop tell you what caused the scoring??? You will need to find and fix the problem that caused the failure.. I would look real hard at the boot,fuel line and impulse lines..If you need the IPL and manual let me know I think I have it...

Now I have had good luck on the bay with P&C kits but I buy OEM..... I have a used kit from a 031 coming and I hope my luck holds out.....

Let me know if I can help,,,,,,

Looking at Baileys seems their kits are on sale and for $99 I think I would get one... Then a new boot fuel line and impulse throw in a new fuel filter too..

Looking around $160 maybe..

maxed_out said:
Jay has a good suggestion. I'm not a professional mechanic but I've rebuilt a couple of saws over the years. You might want to consider a kit that comes with a cylinder,piston and rings etc from a good company. Again no affiliation with Baileys but heres a kit for 100. Might be a good father and son project?
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=Stihl 036 cyl&catID=10162

i'm sure there are other places to get the kits and I'd imagine you probably want to go for some good quality. I have no idea who makes the best kit but it maybe an option. I also suppose you could ask your dealer for a list of parts and get OEM stuff too.

I would get all the small stuff from the dealer..I find it cheaper too because no shipping charges...

Now a OEM P&C kit gonna run over $250 but still you could have it all OEM for around $300...

It just depends on how much you want to spend...

Or you could just sell it to me real cheap ;)

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
Ah look for someone outside the dealership to rebuilt it for you. On this site Southbound would be the guy to get a rebuild price from. 360 very nice saw should make a good rebuild.

Really I would rebuild it myself,,Sounds like a great father and son project to me..

Now for that the Baileys kits they seem kinda iffy to me but for the price and the fact that they stand behind their stuff it is hard to pass up...

Did the shop tell you what caused the scoring??? You will need to find and fix the problem that caused the failure.. I would look real hard at the boot,fuel line and impulse lines..If you need the IPL and manual let me know I think I have it...

Now I have had good luck on the bay with P&C kits but I buy OEM..... I have a used kit from a 031 coming and I hope my luck holds out.....

lol Where just talking about a 360 rebuild the other day!

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
smokinjay said:

I thought it was a 031?????

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
smokinjay said:

I thought it was a 031?????
no that rebuilds should be 360 or bigger..Dought you agree with it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.